Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am

Taking out some sunflowers from the mix is not going to do it. They cannot eat ANY sunflower seed - not a single one. Besides, if you want a bird to gain weight, you certainly do not feed it sunflower seeds, you feed it millet - which is what this species of bird can eat as long as it's measured (which means no seeds for breakfast and all day eating).

Let's try this again. Alexandrines are mainly fruit eaters. They do eat seeds but the seeds they eat are mostly what we call 'green seeds' which are the seeds inside the fruit (and this means the bird must eat a goodly part of the fruit before it even reaches the seeds). They cannot eat any animal food (meat, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, etc) and they cannot be free-fed any protein food (seeds, nuts, pellets, avicakes, nutriberries, etc). They need large portions of fresh fruits, leafy greens and veggies (different ones each day of the week) and low protein seeds (hence, the budgie mix which is made of grass seeds -low in protein and low in fat). And, because this bird is still a baby and it has not been weaned properly, you need to feed it soft foods (polenta/couscous/pastina/oatmeal/Iris oatmeal/etc mixed with baby food jars of fruit or veggies but NOT spinach and very little kale or gloop -you will find recipes in the diet section) served warm and fresh twice a day (breakfast AND dinner). And because the bird is too skinny, feed it also simple carbs (which is not something that one would normally feed a bird) like cooked white rice and birdy bread.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alexandrin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Got it.

Raw corn is considered a good thing for him? much better than sunflower seed?
Also, giving him one Almond is a good thing?

Thanks!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: ALDXANDRINE 3 Month Old boy :)

Postby alexandrin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Ok, first morning with antibiotics in his water. He took
Few sips already.

As for probiotics,
1. Human grade is Ok?
2. If I buy pills, smash them into powder and spoof it
On his food, its ok?
3. How much to put per day?
4. When start? After 14 days of antibiotics?

Thanks

BTW: How about raw buckwheat? how good is raw corn?
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:44 am

I can't find here probiotics for animals / parrots I went through many stores today so I ended up getting human grade capsules of prio biotics with powder inside so I can open those capsules and put some of this powder on top of his food.

Here attach photo of this pro biotics, is it good one?

Photo link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoV4qj_8dsnie-aeeStxKOmcpz4

I took only 3 capsules of it, its enough? I could use 1/4 of a capsule per day.

The package imported from Russia to Tbilisi, so its in Russian but ingredients written in English.

Here I found English description of this product
https://www.konga.com/product/linex-pro ... le-3241533

Btw hope you can answer my previous post so I can understand when should I give the probiotics :)
-- Mainly how, when give probiotics? same time with anti biotics? or after 14 days antiobiotics ends? etc..?

Thank you so much !!!!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 am

Human probiotics are fine (that's what I buy for mine because the ones for animals are not as good).
Crushing tablets or pills and sprinkling the powder on the food is fine.
You should give the probiotic AFTER you are done with the antibiotic because, if you used it while you are giving it antibiotic, it would be completely wasted.
It doesn't matter how much you sprinkle on the food - you can't overdose on probiotics but the good ones are not cheap and there is only so much good bacteria a gut needs so don't waste it.
If the probiotic you got is the best you found, then that's what you should use.

Buckwheat is safer toasted but you should not feed it to your bird because it's too high in protein (18%) and has a very high bioavailability (90%) -bioavailability is the amount that the body actually uses so, if it has 18% protein and the body uses 90% of this, it's actually 'taking in' more than 16% protein which is way too high for Alexandrines. Use a good quality budgie mix... it should be a mix of different millets (proso, white, red), canary seed, oat groats, safflower seeds and a little bit of flax and sesame seeds. But, of course, the one you find might not have all of these so get the one that has the most of them and one that has about 12 to 14 % protein in it.

To fatten him, put a millet spray in his cage and change it when he eats the whole thing.

Raw corn is safe but I like to boil it for 2 minutes to make it softer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alexandrin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 am

Pajarita wrote:Human probiotics are fine (that's what I buy for mine because the ones for animals are not as good).
Crushing tablets or pills and sprinkling the powder on the food is fine.
You should give the probiotic AFTER you are done with the antibiotic because, if you used it while you are giving it antibiotic, it would be completely wasted.
It doesn't matter how much you sprinkle on the food - you can't overdose on probiotics but the good ones are not cheap and there is only so much good bacteria a gut needs so don't waste it.
If the probiotic you got is the best you found, then that's what you should use.

Buckwheat is safer toasted but you should not feed it to your bird because it's too high in protein (18%) and has a very high bioavailability (90%) -bioavailability is the amount that the body actually uses so, if it has 18% protein and the body uses 90% of this, it's actually 'taking in' more than 16% protein which is way too high for Alexandrines. Use a good quality budgie mix... it should be a mix of different millets (proso, white, red), canary seed, oat groats, safflower seeds and a little bit of flax and sesame seeds. But, of course, the one you find might not have all of these so get the one that has the most of them and one that has about 12 to 14 % protein in it.

To fatten him, put a millet spray in his cage and change it when he eats the whole thing.

Raw corn is safe but I like to boil it for 2 minutes to make it softer.

Okay so..

1. Awesome that I could find the human grade probiotics, Linex is actually very popular in the CIS countries and considered as one that I got mostly recommended with when going to doctors in the paste. So will use it.... but for how long to use probiotics? for how many days?
2. Buckwheat, if I put just a small handy chunk into his mix per day, its also bad?
3. Understood, budgies food - I got German premium mix, so I can use it.
4. Today I was rotating him between vegies/fruits and seeds (without sunflower) mix added with oat flakes, raw corn and buckwheat into it by myself.

5. Is it OK adding not much of buckwheat, bit more of oat flakes and chunk of raw corn into Budgies mix to make it more nutritious and interesting for him? Then during the day rotate between this mix and vegies/fruits jar? OR strictly, morning time stick to fruits/vegies only and afternoon put the mix jar?

Thank you so much!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 am

Let me make it VERY clear:

Morning at dawn and all day until dusk:

a) gloop or similar which is cooked whole grains (like kamut, wheat, oat groats, hulled barley, spelt, millet, teff) mixed with frozen veggies that are finely chopped (like broccoli, corn, peas, carrots, any type of yellow squash and cooked sweet potatoes). The veggies need to be allowed to thaw, do not give them to him frozen. I make gloop (the dish made out of cooked grains and vegetables) once every two weeks and freeze daily portions which I take out the night before to allow to thaw and become room temperature before I serve it in the morning.
b) raw produce: a veggie, a large piece of fruit and a leafy green -different one every day.
c) a spray of millet in its cage (because he is too skinny and he is still a baby and can use the extra food)
d) Optional but recommended for babies: some other sort of soft food like cooked corn flour, oatmeal, pastina (this is the tiny pasta used for soups) or whole grain couscouse mixed with baby jar fruit and/or vegetable puree (but not spinach).

At dusk: either fresh gloop or some other sort of soft food (as in optional above) and budgie seed.

Save the nuts (try walnut or pecan instead of almond - almonds are real hard and these birds have soft beaks because they are mainly fruit eaters) for treats and, later on, when he is feeling better both physically and emotionally, for training.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alexandrin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:05 am

Ok... now clarifications phase :)

A. For Morning+Early daytime: Instead of Gloop can I simply cook oatflakes / oatmeal and add into this mix of small sliced vegies (carrot, cucumber), then from this prepare daily small portions and put them in the fridge. --- How many grams of these I can give him each morning?

A.1. Instead of boiled hard egg which I put vitamines on, I will use boiled white rice chunk with vitamnes spread/poweder on it.

B. For noon time, put him, few solid slices big of fruit or/and vegie.

C. spray of millet, can you clarify how it looks? can't I just give him millet seeds?

D. Optional: Oatmeal I can make time to time, Dr' Quaker works? :)
D.1. Dust Time: Give him soft warm boiled rice or oatmeal made of oatflakes with Budgies mix.

E. Would appreciate your answer about my question in my above response, related to anti biotics, how many days will be giving this to him?

Thanks so much, we get things much clearer now!
Last edited by alexandrin on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:05 am

Point (E) I meant for how many days give pro biotics, not anti biotics :)
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:15 am

Its not a season for green peas now so, I got it frozen pack from supermarket, I give him those peas in mix with corn and both mixed inside an oatmeal :) He is eating :)
alexandrin
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care