Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Senegal is now aggressive towards me

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

My Senegal is now aggressive towards me

Postby suetta » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:50 am

I have had my Senegal, Maizy, for 9 years. When i got her she was a baby and enjoyed being held, pet, belly rubs was a happy bird. Recently, during the past two years, I have had to be away from home for most of that two years to care for an ailing family member out of state. I have been back home since March (it’s now August). Noticing she is afraid of me now, I have slowly been letting her come out of her cage on her own terms. I try to bring her out to just sit with me and get used to me. I cannot reach in her cage either for her to step up or for me to replace her without getting my skin broken and bleeding or she recklessly starts flying around in her cage to avoid me. She screams when I walk by. She is truly afraid of me. She is now comfortable with my husband, who has never had anything to do with her. Steps up for him, let’s him pet her. How do I get my bird back? She reduced me to tears today because I’m so sad and frustrated. I don’t know how to fix this and it’s not my fault I had to leave.
suetta
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: My Senegal is now aggressive towards me

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:17 am

Welcome to the forum and I am so sorry you are going through this with your beloved bird! No, it's not your fault you had to leave but they do not understand this. As far as they are concerned, you are supposed to be there 24/7/365 because that is the way Nature made them. In the wild, they are never without their family and the only time that they no longer see a mate or a flock mate is when they die so temporary absences are not something they understand. I went to a family reunion back in March and was away for 13 days only (the trip alone takes an entire day each day so this was the shortest I could make it). My husband stayed behind and followed the exact routine they follow with me, same diet, same everything - only, I wasn't here. And although none of them held it against me (quite the opposite, they were very happy to see me), my cockatoo plucked himself bald!

But it also sounds to me as if your bird is overly hormonal so, tell us, what's her diet, her light schedule and the normal daily routine and we will be able to give you pointers to make things better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training