Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:42 am

I moved Andy to the cockatiel room. It was very noisy the whole day. I left him in his aquarium but Louise got in and could not get out. I will move him to a cage today. I think I will put him and Jackie in my empty flight cage.

Rachel found an egg under the dining room table. She matched it with the chicken eggs and it was small. It was a good size egg. It must have been Myrtles. Rainbow does not go to the dining room except to her cage. She stays under her stepping stool in the kitchen.

Myrtle has been spending a lot of time in a cluttered storage cabinet. I guess I need to clean it out to see what she may have done.

This give me suspicion of Rainbow/Rambo. Did I read it wrong. He is in his 30s and has never laid an egg.

Rainbow/Rambo is still hormonal. I had planned to take him to the vet for a physical but thanks to the well pump I just don't have the money. I had to use my emergency pet credit card for the pump.
I could not keep Andy's appointment and am just giving him more of the meds.

Rainbow/Rambo has me confused.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am

Liz, amazons are no longer hormonal, they are molting now so something is going on with the light schedule and/or diet of yours... What you should do, as soon as you have some extra money, is have them DNA'd. It's not really that very expensive (see here: https://iqbirdtesting.com/order-bird-dna-test/) and it's easy and fast - and so very useful!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 am

Yes, I had planned to get Rainbow/Rambo DNA tested when he gets his full work up including liver testing.
Myrtle has only been hormonal for the last two weeks but Rainbow/Rambo has been for months.

Their diet is good with fresh and frozen veg and fruit. They only get two nuts a day. One is pistachio before breakfast. The other is either a walnut or cashew at bed time.

The lighting has been a problem since Rachel is on a different schedule than me and she turns on lights. I have told her but I guess I need to give her another talk.

I put Andy back in the flock. Jackie has not reclaimed him yet but I am sure she will. He is so happy to be back in his flock. I am still able to catch him since the muscles in his wings have not been used for a while. I have had to grab him. Since they are not pets and just a big flock of friends it does not break a bond with us.

I had to cancel Andy's next visit due to financial problems (well pump maxed me and the pet credit card out). I did get a second round of medication to help him until next month.

I have been putting vitamins in their water but can't afford to buy milk thistle yet. I will as soon as I can.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 am

Liz, don't do the DNA with the vet, they charge you an arm and a leg and they get the same result as the ones on the internet. Do it on your own.

Milk thistle is about $10 at the Vitamin Shoppe, where I get it. And, sometimes, they have 'buy one and get the second one at 50%'... But they also sell it in Amazon.com and it's even cheaper there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 am

OK.
Andy is doing well in the flock. Jackie has not reclaimed him though. I don't know why since she was the one who went after him for a mate.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am

Most likely because he is sick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:46 am

They were together yesterday evening when I went to put seed tray in. He looked so happy and is doing well.
Jackie looks happy too. She got on top of the cage and came to my face to tell me stuff again. She did not do this when Andy was gone.

Andy's eye is black and he can't see out of it.
That gives me one that can't fly, one that can't walk and now a blind one. I am so grateful to have them. No telling where they would be without me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 am

Black? Are you sure? Because eyes that go blind from infection look either white or have the third lid grown over it... And he is not blind, he can still see out of one eye and, although they do lose vision and makes it harder for them to land, they can still see well enough - Codee has only one good eye and I don't consider her handicapped.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am

He turns in circles when he needs to look at the whole room.

It is black but not like the other eye. It is a dull color.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 am

Do you mean that it went opaque? Because that could be temporary too although, normally, when that happens, it means that the cornea has been compromised.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care