Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi! Brotogeris owner here.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi! Brotogeris owner here.

Postby natdhl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello, I'm Nat.

I've been taking care of a brotogeris parakeet for a while (I don't know if he's male, but I'd love him to be). I named him Milo. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how old he is. I'm guessing he's young.

I found him laying in the grass and wasn't able to fly properly (he still flies low to the ground, short distances, but he doesn't do it that much), he was also smaller in size, and had many pinfeathers in the back of his head. Luckily my dog didn't realize he had been in the grass for a while, so I arrived on time before she attacked him.

I guess someone else owned him before I found him, but they proabably "set him free" (he's very noisy, I can see why), because none of my neighbors reached out to me. He instantly stepped in my hand and climbed to my shoulder. Apparently he's used to cages, and being close to dogs and humans.

I know it's dangerous for a "tamed" bird to be set free because of the death risk.

Anyway, I've managed to build a decent relationship with him, which was pretty quick and easy. He's very curious, loves head scratches, and walking around following people. He has plenty of time to be outside.

I thought it was better to first make him get used to me by letting him crawl all over me and hand-feed him, and then after that I'd train him. I'm wondering what and how I should teach him. He becomes very loud when I leave the room, so maybe something to control that.

Anyone else owns a brotogeris parakeet? I'd love to read whatever you guys have to say about them. I'm kinda new to this, but I've tried my best to read a lot about them.

Pretty excited to be joining the forum!
✧ Milo ✧
natdhl
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange-chinned (Tovi) parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi! Brotogeris owner here.

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for rescuing it! And WOW! a Tovi! I don't know of anybody who has a Tovi and I don't remember anybody having one even though I've been on bird sites for many years... They used to be pretty common but they stopped breeding them even though it's pretty easy to do - same as is happening with the plets (they are not good as companions and the lone ones tend to pluck).

I really do not know much about them but going by what I have read, they are VERY pair oriented so I suggest you have it DNAd and get him a mate (if you cannot find another Tovi, see if you can find any other type of Broto but, if this fails too, get a plet, they are a bit smaller than them but so very similar that I am sure they will bond).

I would not try to train it, though.... these little aviary birds don't do well with training, it's too
stressful to them. One more thing, nobody can train a bird not to call when alone, especially an aviary bird all alone. They can't stand being alone and call for a companion -think of a baby left alone in a room, it will cry regardless of whether you tell it not to because it's scared, right? Well, it's the same thing with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby natdhl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Pajarita wrote:I really do not know much about them but going by what I have read, they are VERY pair oriented so I suggest you have it DNAd and get him a mate (if you cannot find another Tovi, see if you can find any other type of Broto but, if this fails too, get a plet, they are a bit smaller than them but so very similar that I am sure they will bond).

I would not try to train it, though.... these little aviary birds don't do well with training, it's too
stressful to them. One more thing, nobody can train a bird not to call when alone, especially an aviary bird all alone. They can't stand being alone and call for a companion -think of a baby left alone in a room, it will cry regardless of whether you tell it not to because it's scared, right? Well, it's the same thing with them.

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try to get him a friend. Hopefully I'm gonna be able to find another brotogeris.

Thanks also for the training info, I didn't know that! I'll keep trying to bring him with me around the house so he won't feel so lonely until I find him a mate haha.
✧ Milo ✧
natdhl
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange-chinned (Tovi) parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am

Thank you soooo much for getting him/her a mate! The enrichment this brings to their lives is immesurable! As to bringing him with you, if you make sure all the windows are closed and that nobody will open the front or back door to your house, all you will need to do is simply leave the door to the different rooms in the house open and he will fly following you from room to room. He might not be able to do it now because, apparently, he must have been clipped before (his flying low to the ground and general wing weakness is very telling) but the little ones normally regain their flight much faster and better than the larger ones (if you keep a large species grounded for a long time, it's almost impossible to get them to fly again) and he will be zooming around in no time at all (so be very careful because they are VERY fast and tend to fly in front of us as soon as we open a door).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions