Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP NOWW!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

HELP NOWW!

Postby molinash19350 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 pm

today i was outside having a nice backyard party with my neighbours and i came back inside, to see blood all over one of my parakeet's faces. i say well where did this come from and i notice on eof my parakeets BLOOD COLD BEATEN UP EXTREMELY BADLY, DEAD on the ground. the poor parakeet looked like it tried so hard to fight back, but now we have a cannibal parakeet on our hands, and we dont know what to do with her? please help
molinash19350
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP NOWW!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

First of all, I am very sorry! Now, no, you do not have a cannibal budgie. The blood on her face was from the dead bird. I am sure she (are you sure it's a she?) did not eat the dead bird, she just killed it - if she, indeed, did kill it (do you have any other pets that could have done this?). Mind you, it's not that budgies cannot be real mean and fight hard - they certainly can. But this only happens when they are very young and two males fight for the same female - once the female chooses, that is that for the fight between the males and it never happens again. But it can also happen when birds are crowded, kept overly-hormonal and in uneven numbers (three is the worst number you can have in budgies).

This time of the year, here in the States, budgies are almost done with their molt and going fast into resting season so everything is pretty calm in the budgie kingdom... So, tell us, how many budgies do you have? What is the size of the cage? Do they come out to fly? What do they eat? What is their light schedule? How old are the birds? Was the dead bird another female or a male? Was it a baby of the one that killed it? Do you have nests in the cage? Are they using them? Was the killer bird nesting?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:06 am

Could it be that your budgie died and the other got blood on it's face from trying to revive it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby molinash19350 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 am

no, she was bleeding from her wings and from her leg and she had clumps of some other birds meat in her beak.

I have 11 birds now, they always go outside of the cage and fly around, they have a diet with seeds tons of fruits and vegetables. i am 99% they were both females, they were both younger then a year i think around 5-7 months. i have 2 cages they are both size 35'' H x 18'' W x 14'' D. No birds of mine are breeding.
molinash19350
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 am

Well, the cages are too small for so many birds. I have seven budgies and their cage is 6 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft. My male canaries are in cages the same size as yours but there is one to a cage (canaries are territorial). People see the little budgies and think they don't take up that much room but, for all their small size, they need a lot of space... All aviary species do but the smaller the species, the more flighty it is and the more room it needs so, if I were you, I would rehome some of my birds and get a large flight cage for the rest, making sure I keep a small flock (not less than 6) with even gender ratio (same number of males and females and, preferably, consisting of mate-bonded pairs). If they are 5 months old, and most especially if you bred them yourself, you should be able to tell very easily whether they are male or female because budgies are sexually dimorphic unless they are a double spangled mutation.

You should also not free-feed seeds or any other protein food. Budgies are super duper opportunistic breeders and free-feeding protein food makes them produce sexual hormones all year round -which makes them aggressive. If yours are only 7 months old, they should not be producing sexual hormones yet BUT this would be the norm in the wild and, unfortunately for them and us, things get all screwed up in captivity (were they handfed formula by any chance?).

And double check their light schedule because long days also make them hormonal and hormones means aggression. They need to be kept at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk (which I would start at two whole hours as you want to make them stop producing sexual hormones as soon as possible -budgies should now be finishing their molt and not producing any sexual hormone whatsoeve this time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby molinash19350 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am

we're trying to rehome most of the birds but people we came across just wanted to breed them. we have more females then males and all the maleshave mates already.
molinash19350
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 am

Yes, most people do want to breed them... they are cheap, pretty, small and VERY easy to breed, poor things! But keep on insisting because there are a few good people out there that love birds and would never think of breeding them... Also, what I am going to recommend might not work out because there are bird rescues that don''t even take aviary species but do try calling the ones in your area and see if they would take the extra females.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby molinash19350 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:44 pm

oh yes, there is a bird adoption place near me, i will call and ask thank you!

:danicing:
molinash19350
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Good luck! We will keep our fingers crossed for you!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:39 am

There is also http://www.rescueme.com where you can list the birds that you want to rehome. In this sight you can communicate with prospective rehomers.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet