Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi I'm new and I want to buy a parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Hi I'm new and I want to buy a parrot

Postby Jss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi
Recently I have been thinking on buying a parrot but I don't know which one to buy. Could you please give me your opinion and advice on which one would be best for me and my mom?

I was thinking on buying one lovebird but I'm not sure anymore since my mom and I work Monday through Saturday from 8:00am to 6:00pm and sometimes Sundays.
I want to play and spend time with him/her after work but I don't want him to get depressed or die.

Thank you in advance :D :swaying:
Jss
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Hi I'm new and I want to buy a parrot

Postby liz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 am

Welcome to the forum. You will like it here.

Don't buy. Too many parrots need homes. Rehome or rescue. www.rescueme.com is a good place to start since they are rehomes. With a rehome you get knowledge of the bird before you choose it.

You can go to www.craigslist.com to look for rehomes or rescues.

Love birds don't like being alone. They need another bird to love.

Whatever you choose we can help you with the way to bond to it. Such as, where to put the cage and how to act with it when it is new to you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi I'm new and I want to buy a parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for doing research before you acquire a parrot. I agree with Liz that adopting or rehoming is always better than buying (especially for first timers because raising a baby requires experience to do it right) but I am afraid that with your work schedule, having a companion parrot is not going to be possible because they cannot be up once the sun sets so your idea of spending time with it after work is not going to work. You will end up with an overly-hormonal bird that is not healthy (they are photoperiodic and need to follow a strict solar schedule -like chickens). You could have a bonded pair of an aviary species (by the way, lovebirds are aviary and keeping them alone is not kind as they suffer terribly from loneliness) but you would only be able to see them the single day of the week that you are not working while doing all the work (preparing food, cleaning, etc) all week long and most of it in the dark (because you cannot turn on artificial lights before the sun is up in the sky or after the sun is halfway down to the horizon).

You might say that there a people who work like you and keep birds... and, unfortunately for the birds, you would be right. But these people either do not know enough about birds and how their endocrine system works or do know but do not care about the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species