Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 am

It is a dull black, not like the shiny other eye. It seals shut. I use his eye drops to massage and open the lid to put his med in. But then it seals closed again.

Any ideas about a salve that can be used to keep his lid flexible.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:38 am

Well, as i mentioned before, I never use eye drops on animals eye infections. The vets always try to give me drops but I don't take them because I know they don't work as well as ointment so I always have Terramycin at hand because the feral kittens would very often get eye infections from herpes.
You can buy it without a prescription in Amazon.com or in Chewy.com - see here:
https://www.chewy.com/terramycin-ophtha ... /dp/179181
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:23 am

Every thing is molting. I have little feathers every where in the cockatiel room.
Myrtle now whistles when she flies due to a feather loss.

Andy is doing well in the flock but Jackie has not reclaimed him. He does follow her around though.

The German roaches are back again. This time in the cockatiel room. When I open the front door they come in and too many for me to step on them all. I have been using the "earth" stuff under the papers in their room. I see fewer now. If they would just stop coming in the front door. I guess I can spray there.

I don't like to spray around the house because of all the little lizards. I have even started seeing little tiny ones less than half an inch. They are everywhere.
Some times they run all over the side walk and the side walk seems to be moving.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 am

Too many cockroaches for you to be able to step on them?! Oh, my goodness! Still another reason for me to consider Florida to be considered uninhabitable :lol:

And, yes, there is still molting going on here too but it's pretty much the end of it by now...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 am

Aunt Betty passed on Tuesday morning.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

Oh, Liz, I am SOOOOOO very sorry for your loss! Please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences!

We had to drop everything and rush to Schenectady yesterday because my almost 93 years old mother in law (her birthday is Oct/4) ended up in the emergency room first on Sunday and then again on Tuesday. We thought it was the end for her because she's been living with liver and stomach cancer for years now but it was a urinary tract infection and, believe it or not, she pulled through. Her doctor calls her 'a Phoenix'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:58 am

Aunt B's death was not a surprise but I thought we had a little more time together.

She ate breakfast. She refused lunch but had some ice cream. An hour later she lost communication with me. She went down hill fast. I stayed with her holding her hand and talking but I don't know how much she understude. Rachel was working split shift and spent as much time as she could holding her other hand. She passed at 01:30 Tuesday morning. We were with her holding her hands. She knew she was loved.

It is hard to explain to her son how much I feel the loss. He did come to visit her not long ago.

Sorry to go on in this thread this way.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 am

Liz, nobody here has any doubts that you took excellent care of her and that she felt loved to the very end. And don't worry about posting this kind of thing here, we are all friends and are here for you when and if you need us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 am

Thank you.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 am

Rainbow watched Aunt Betty when she was carried out of the house by EMS. He did not see when Momma left. He still calls to her.
I heard him call "Gan'ma" yesterday.

Momma died in 2014 and she is still in Rainbows mind. When you rescue or rehome please keep in mind that they have long memories and are not always able to tell you what happened to them. Myrtle was confined in a little cage for a year. I saw her cage. Now she won't go in a cage that has a door.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care