Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

lovebird or budgie?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

lovebird or budgie?

Postby mufffy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm

hi i am new to the bird community and currently i am deciding on whether to get a lovebird or budgie. currently i go to school 8am-3pm and i don’t mind purchasing 2. i would like one that is friendly towards me and not so aggressive.i don’t mind about noise.
thank you
mufffy :hatching:
mufffy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: lovebird or budgie?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for doing research before you acquire your new companion. Either species would do fine as long as you get a pair of the opposite gender but lovebirds need to be DNA'd because they are not sexually dimorphic (this just means that the male looks different from the female so you can tell, by just looking, if it's a boy or a girl) so it would be easier to get a pair of budgies unless the pair of lovies you adopt (please, please, please, adopt, don't buy babies!) has already been found to be a male/female pair.

Both species can learn to trust you and even love you and neither is really aggressive as long as they are not overly hormonal so, if you keep them at a strict solar schedule and feed them right (meaning, do not free-feed protein food and give plenty of produce), they should be very mild-tempered (not as sweet as cockatiels but pretty nice anyway).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:38 am

Love birds are relatively quiet. Budgies seem to have a running chatter all day. It is a very happy sound. Don't exclude Cockatiels in your decision. They can be noisy but not as often as budgies. They are sweet little birds that sing and even learn to talk. With such little voices you need to pay close attention when they are talking.

Rehomed or rescued can cost as much as a baby but will come with knowledge. Please consider rehomed or rescued. The highest rehome I ever paid was for Phoenix. I gave $40 for him when I went to rehome one of the cockatiels. I had to talk the man into letting me have him since the man said he was too ugly to rehome.

If you adopt from www.rescueme.com you can get info from the current owner. If you rescue you could be rescuing a little guy who had many homes and will remember them. They bond quickly.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby mufffy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:47 pm

thank you to the both of you replying, by following both of your advices i have decided to get a cockatiel. thank you for the suggestions and i can’t wait to get my cockatiel. :greycockatiel:
mufffy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby liz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 am

Take two, they are small.

I had a male who would sing and his mate would dance to his music.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:11 am

Lizz is 100% correct. The same way that you cannot have a single budgie or a single lovebird, you cannot have a single cockatiel - they are all aviary species and need the company of another bird of their own species to be healthy and happy. Why don't you try adopting a bonded pair? There are always a few for adoption - and they are not expensive, either. People think that if they get a baby, the bird will bond deeper with them but this does not happen with aviary species so adopting an adult is much better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:43 am

liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:33 am

My cockatiels are in a flock and love it. Some have bonded in the flock. I cannot touch them but a few will come to me from the top of the cage to tell me their tweets.

Jackie comes nose to beak from there. Phoenix comes to the side of the cage every time I go in that room so we can tweet.

Andy does not hold it against me that I separated him and gave him meds for so long. He comes up behind Jackie when we are tweeting.

I so love these little birds.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Return to Parrot Species