Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Biting freckles

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Biting freckles

Postby cstone01 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Is there any advice on getting birds to leave freckles or moles alone on your skin? I have a small mole on my neck and a freckle a little Lower on my chest, Our bird who never bites otherwise will at times grab at them and try to bite them off, sometimes it draws blood and when it surprises me I sometimes yell and startle him. The spot on my neck is hard to cover and he probably goes after it aggressively once a week or every other week. I could have my dermatologist remove t if it continues to be a problem but I was wondering if birds ever get used to discolorations. I have read elsewhere he may think it is a tick or mite on me.we have had him 5 or 6 months and he has only been biting at them the last two.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Biting freckles

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:07 am

I seriously doubt there is a way to teach them not to do it. It's actually done out of love, you know? He is trying to groom you and get rid of all the 'faults' in your 'plumage'. I have age spots on my hands which drive my quaker crazy with worry and me with her chewing on them :lol: My birds know the command 'Don't touch!' and 'No!" and are actually pretty obedient about it but the commands come AFTER they do something so, although it works in the sense that Keku Quaker stops doing it when I tell her to, she still does it all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care