Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheeked Conure.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Green Cheeked Conure.

Postby Shafquat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 am

Hello,

I am from Bangladesh and Pet bird lover. I've recently made a indoor cage breeding set up for green cheeked conures. Cage size L-3' x H-2' x W-2' and the breeding box hanged outside the cage (horizontally 10'' vertically 12'' and filled with soft wood chips (2" depth). Ive got two pairs, one is Pineapple Yellow Sided Red Fronted Green Cheek Conure and the other pair has two similar mutation, standard turquoise and turquoise yellow sided.

I'd like to know the basic rules of muting process regarding green cheeked conure species, how to, what to do and what not to do?

Rgds,
-Shafquat-
Shafquat
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Love Bird, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheeked Conure.

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 am

Welcome to the forum! A 'Pineapple Yellow Sided Red Fronted Green Cheek Conure'? What is the difference between a regular pineapple and this mutation? Because all pineapples have yellow sides and a red front so unless there is something else that is different, I don't think it's a different mutation (I also did some research and no such mutation came up on the search).

As to how to breed them... well, please don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know how to do it, please do not attempt it. Putting a male and a female together and giving them a nest is not all that is required. It takes years of learning under an experienced breeder before one should attempt breeding on one's own. But I can tell you three things:
1) you can't breed two pairs in the same cage.
2) unless that homemade cage is made out of stainless steel mesh or bars, you will need to start again because any other material gives them metal poisoning.
3) you need to have the birds for two whole years before you start breeding them - this is not only because GCCs should not be bred until they are two years old but also because, even when you get an adult, you need to observe the bird and build up its reserves before you breed it.
4) they need to be kept at a strict solar schedule with two hours of exposure to dawn and dusk
5) you can't free-feed protein and they need raw produce every day (large portions of fruits)
6) because the cage is indoor, they will not be able to produce their own Vit D3 so you need to be careful supplementing it (and this is NOT easy to do because you can't give too little or too much) or the hens will become eggbound with soft shelled eggs.
7) bird lovers do not breed parrots (only bird enjoyers do) because they know the babies will end up having bad lives in captivity - this is not my personal opinion, it's a cold fact of science: undomesticated species with complex physical and emotional needs are never happy or healthy in captivity.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions