Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sanitizing

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Sanitizing

Postby treed7333 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

I bought some toys from someone, some were used and some new with tags but they were all in the same box. I know the bird that had them before passed away but I don't know why. I have put everything including a travel carrier that is cloth on the outside and wood perches in the dishwasher on sanitize and then I have sprayed them all with chlorhexidine and then rinsed. Do you think these items are safe for my birds? Should I run them through the dryer or just pitch anything that is wood or cloth?
treed7333
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal and Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Sanitizing

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 am

Well, the USDA lists only Clorox and Lysol in their protocols for disinfecting after avian epidemics - not chlorhexidine so I don't know how effective it is. Lysol has to be applied pure and Clorox in a 10% solution. I use Clorox.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care