Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my parrot suddenly wants too many attention

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

my parrot suddenly wants too many attention

Postby ZZ.Z » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:09 pm

This might sounds like a good thing but I still wanna make sure...
This just happened today, my bird started to want to come to me all the time. He(I don't know his gender and he's 6 month old) used to play around his cage for a while and come play with me for a while. It's kind of a balance. But, today, suddenly, he started to want all my attention and eagerly want to stay with me. He chirps and make some cute noises(not the loud screaming at all) until I pick him up. He has done this before but only half of the time per day. It's just uncommon for me to see him want to stay on me so bad(I've had him for three month).
Usually I have a blanket that keeps me warm and easier for my Bir to hold on to when he sleeps on my lap. (The blanket is completely flat on my lap when he sleeps there, there's also two layers of the blanket hanging down from my arm, he usually play with those). Today I found that he started to squeeze into the two layers of blanket and stay near my stomach and sleep there, not the perching way, he's like lying on his stomach.
Is this normal? his dropping seems normal to me and he's eating.
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Front Conure
Flight: No

Re: my parrot suddenly wants too many attention

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:12 am

Yes, it is perfectly normal. It just took this long for him/her to bond with you and now that he/she loves you, it will need to be with you all the time. It's the way they are. Sadly for them, no human can actually provide what they need...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ZZ.Z » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks! It just shocked me cuz it's too sudden...
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 am

Well, he/she might have given you clues but, when it saw you did not understand them, it took matters into its own hands. It's very hard for us to read birds... We can do it easily with dogs, horses, cats and other mammals but birds are completely different so we need to train our brains to forget what we know so we can learn from scratch. It has taken me years and years of observation of many, many parrots as well as studying their natural behaviors in the wild to figure them out -and even after all this, I still miss a lot of things. Parrots are super hard to keep healthy and happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ZZ.Z » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Ikr. That’s why we should all do all the research before we get a bird or any animal. Even I did so much research there’s still so many information that I missed.

I was going to respond to ur respond by just saying “I agree”, but this thing that happened on Instagram made me so mad.... I saw a person feed her bird cookies by eating the cookie and let the bird take the cookie out of her mouth with her saliva... I commented that she should bet be doing that and she’s like so many people around her feed their birds this way all the time and it’s fine.... I questioned her why would people feed their birds out of their mouths anyway cuz the ultimate goal is to keep the birds safe even though saliva may not kill all birds(saliva did kill some birds!) and she started attacking me under my post for holding my phone too close to my bird....
I’m just mad at how irresponsible these people are... :(
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Return to General Parrot Care