Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Corn flakes for breakfast?!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Corn flakes for breakfast?!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am

People are so incredibly clueless as to what is healthy and what is not for a bird... Imagine that, corn flakes... They are 45% iron!!!! And worst of all, because of the ubiquitous ignorance of a bird's diet, they are even celebrated on the news!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/early-bird-ge ... 00894.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Corn flakes for breakfast?!

Postby liz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 am

I did not know that they were so harmful. When I eat them I find big flacks and give them one each. I will stop that.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Corn flakes for breakfast?!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am

Liz, ALL breakfast cereals are bad for birds because they are made for humans who need A LOT of iron, something that is VERY harmful to birds. There are foods for human consumption that are not THAT bad for them but to determine this you need a deep understanding of parrot nutrition -which most people don't have- so the best thing to do is never to give them any. My parrots never eat anything meant for human consumption. Not a single thing! I used to give them organic graham crackers made with sugar cane juice but I no longer do - just in case.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care