Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:06 pm

This city is about 80% Hispanic. I hear more Spanish than English. Im pretty aware of quinceanera!

I hope she has a happy one!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am

I'm having all kinds of trouble with my laptop due to the fact that I am sitting in the Court House waiting to be called (or not) for jury duty (happy happy joy joy! :lol: ) so I cannot post any of the links that I had for new postings, as I usually do everyday - ergo, an update.

Everybody doing fine and the birds have already started 'changing' their seasons. The amazons are pretty much done with breeding and I know because they are no longer spending any time in the boxes, they started molt (found two feathers) and the old ladies are, as they do every year, allowing their plucked feathers to grow. On the other hand, the short day breeders are getting 'antsy', Linus Too has started vocalizing in the middle of the day and going down to ground and 'protecting' the boxes I always put in the corner for him and Sophia Gray. Curiosly, the IRNs seem to be molting... at least, Casper is because I found a couple of white feathers. Now, I've never had psittaculas before so I don't know if these birds molt into nuptial (I couldn't find anything about this anywhere) but they are short day breeders and should be getting ready to go into condition. Of course, these birds were kept at a bad light schedule and a terrible diet for many years so it's entirely possible that their bodies are only now beginning to 'catch up' and, because of this, their seasons are still a bit mixed up. One thing I've been thinking about is that I've always read that they have a terrible molt and I've seen pictures of them going through it and it is true that they looked as if they had been attacked by a mob of moths BUT another thing I've noticed is that every single psittacula I've read about has been fed the wrong diet (everybody free-feeds pellets or seeds!) so I am curious to see if their molt is really terrible per se or if it's a consequence of people feeding them wrong. I doubt I will be able to ascertain this one way or the other this year becasue it's too early to tell (it's going to take many more months for these birds to be beginning to get to a good shape) but it should give me a good indication of what is what and, when I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Like I said, everbody doing good. Canaries are all done with breeding, the hens have dismantled the nests and they will all be put back into the flight cage as soon as I can get my husband to power-wash them and repaint their room. I am still giving them sprouts but only once every three days or so.

Budgie doing wonderfully! Not a single egg in the entire season and everybody eating well and very happy if one goes by ther cheerful chirpings (first to start before dawn and last to shut up at night). A curious thing: Susan which is supposed to be three years old has never gotten a brown cere - neither did the two yellow double spangled sisters. Flora did though and she has been quite flirty with both Blue and Tweety but, apparently, she figured she did not need to make a commitment being that she did not get a nest.

Codee and Andy/Annie are doing great! Codee, as usual, the sweetest thing on this green earth, eating well, etc. Andy/Annie is also eating VERY well and behaving like a little champ, going into the cage all on its own when it's time. I've only had to wait him/her out twice and 'direct' him/her to the cage with a looong dowel I use for that purpose but it did not take more than a few minutes for him/her to go back inside. His/her feathers are growing and there are only two plucked patches left - I do think he/she might still be plucking a bit but it's OK, he/she was VERY anxious and nervous when he/she first came and, although he/she has calmed down a lot, we still have a ways to go.

Rajah and Rani doing real good! They are now bonded (roosting together) and get along famously. She has also come a long way but it will take much longer to get her to a point where she is not freaked out by people. She is obviously a parent-raised bird, bought as a baby by a couple who thought they could tame her and, in the process, messed her up something terrible by using flooding techniques. And I know because my husband told me that, when he picked her up, the man was holding her in his hand and caressing her non-stop when this bird reacts to hands near her as if they were a T rex coming after her! I do wish people would stop trying to tame the little ones... they do so much damage to them!

Zoey and Sweetpea Senegal doing well, as usual. There have been some fights lately between Zoey Senegal, Isis Redbelly and Condorito Caique but it's because Condorito is new and the season doesn't help, either. Nothing major but I have to keep vigilant so as to intervene when it happens.

Javi Caique would be doing great if it wasn't for Condorito Caique which, finishing his honeymoon period, started acting up and trying to pick a fight with the other birds that love me or my husband - and, of course, the other birds don't want to back down, either - hence, the fights betwen Condorito and Isis over my husband and Condorito and Javi over me (sigh). He also fell into bad graces with my husband because he started going after feet - not to bite them, he doesn't really even nip but he does use his beak to touch, touch, touch and my husband, who can be a real boobie about certain things, started screaming and jumping up and down like a maniac and trying to keep him away from his feet which started Condorito so much that he now really tries to bite him. I told him not to react, that he was NOT going to hurt him, to just talk to him, put his hand down and ask him to step up but he did not listen and now what I told him would happen did! He doesn't complain because I told him I don't want to hear it, that it was all his fault and that he should be thankful I am not super mad at him for messing up my lovely Condorito but he calls me on the phone to ask me where Condorito is before he comes downstairs or into the house because he is now afraid of him (he was jumping so violently that he dropped his glasses and broke them and now blames Condorito for it - men!). But I have no problem with him and he is doing very well otherwise. Oh, Condorito got a nice new cage and I have another one in the box for Javi, waiting to be put together when he has a chance.

Davy Redbelly and Keku Quaker are now in the same cage. They get along very well and the only problem I was having is that Davy would leave his bowl with their seed/nut dinner once he ate the nuts and climb up to eat from Keku's bowl and her, being the sweet thing she is, would allow it (not that she was going hungry because she is always steals food from the bins while I am serving everybody's dinner) so I've had to teach him the 'That's not yours!' command and direct him back to his own bowl (and it only took three nights of doing this for him to learn it - they are so smart!).

Now, to get ready for molt (I am also still giving them sprouts but not everyday and their gloop still has the higher protein from the quinoa I add during breeding season PLUS the sesame seed to prepare them for molt) and for the short day breeders season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:11 am

Just a quickie to mention two things.
1) I figured out Condorito's true name! It's Equishquish or something that sounds like that. His previous owner had told me that he said: Je suie jolie (I am pretty in French) but she did not know where he had learned it because she did not speak French to him and nobody who had kept him did - which I thought it was strange but, as I know for a fact that people lie all the time when it comes to pets, I figured the bird had lived with somebody who spoke French in the past and did not think about it anymore. But I did pay attention to see if he really said it and, if he did, when. And it turns out that he did but that it was the Equishquish sound that he was making. And he would say it whenever he wanted to bring attention to himself so I suspected this was his name which was corroborated when I started using it. Well, not the entire thing because he shortens it to Quish every now and then so I started using Quish and he loves it!

2) Now, this is a bit of a puzzle that I will need more time to research and figure out (if I ever manage to do that) but I noticed that there are IRN babies being sold right now at an age that would imply they are long day breeders instead of short day. BUT, in India, they start going into breeding condition during the rain season and breed in the dry so I am thinking that it's the spring rains (which have been VERY heavy lately) that tipped them over into breeding (could they be like cockatiels and cockatoos which are 'triggered' by a lot of rainfall?). In consequence, they are now molting, just like the long day breeders, and I am happy to announce that what I suspected was correct! They do NOT have to have mojo molts! Mine are molting in a completely normal way, no bald patches, no moth-eaten look, no nothing but a normal molt! So, as far as I am concerned, mojo molt is not natural and it only happens because of a diet way too high in protein (and that's why birds like ekkies and psittaculas have it)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 am

When I tell you that Sweetpea Senegal knows what he is saying, I am NOT exaggerating! I have been changing cages around. I bought new ones and switched some birds to 'old' ones that were bigger or better than the ones they had and power washing them a few at a time but, in order to do this, I've had to move birds from one cage to another and one cage from one place to another. Zoey and Sweetpea Senegal got a new cage and, in the process, their cage was moved from one side of the dining room to the other and from the dining room to the living room. Because I have a bit of OCD, I develop and follow schedules, systems and a strict order of doing chores and cages that I never change (which I believe is one of the reasons that birds do so well in my house) but what with all this moving and switching, my systems and order have been a bit helter skelter lately and, last night, I forgot to feed Zoey and Sweetpea their dinner so, when I came downstairs after feeding the big parrots, I hear Sweetpea saying real loud: "What's the matter? Night night. Eat it! What's the matter?" He was asking what the heck was going on ("What's the matter?") that he had not gotten his dinner ("Night night. Eat it" meaning the night food because he thinks that 'Eat it" means ''food'). I know he is smart but I swear that, sometimes, he surprises even me with how well he understands and uses human language to communicate!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 am

Sweet Pea really knows his stuff.

Rambo/Rainbow does too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:05 pm

I had no time to do any research today because we had a terrible scare: we couldn't find Isis anywhere. She ALWAYS flies to my husband shoulder as soon as he gets up (she actually waits for him to come out hanging from the hinges on the bedroom door) as well as when he calls her (she adores him, the ingrate!) but, this morning, she was nowhere to be found and, as my husband has the bad habit of opening doors wide (I have trained myself to go through a little crack), we were afraid she might have gotten out even though we could not remember opening either one (front and back). We looked EVERYWHERE in the house, called her and called her while we went down on all fours to look under furniture, checked inside the fridge and the freezer, went down to the laundry room, I even got a ladder and checked on top of the kitchen cabinets and, when we couldn't find her inside, went outside and walked around the neighbourhood screaming ISIS! ISIS! like two maniacs (two neighbors even came out and were helping us look into the trees). Nothing! I was in tears and blaming my husband for it... So I told my husband to come back inside, get a cup of coffee (we had not had any breakfast) and that we would continue looking after. I open the kitchen cabinet where the cups are and there she was bopping her head up and down, the silly bird! My husband was upstairs looking for the fourth time in the bedroom when I called to him and told him I had found her - he immediately called her and she flew to him. When he came back to the kitchen, he was cuddling her to his neck and scratching her head with tears in his eyes from the relief of having found her - he was so choked up he couldn't even talk. This from a man who did not like parrots for years and years!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 am

I owe you guys a long update but things have been pretty hectic around here. We are leaving the country sooner than we thought so we are busy fixing the house to put it up for sale, getting paperwork done, my husband is travelling Oct/1 to open bank accounts, register our marriage, etc and he is bringing one of our dogs to one of our sons (we will try to bring one or two animals at a time each trip), I've been trying to catch 3 kittens from the street and one of our cats got a bad UTI which blocked his urethra and, to make things worse (and more expensive), they had to try three times to put a catheter in. They could do the thin one they use to empty the bladder but they couldn't insert the wider, more flexible one that stays put until the infection subsides a bit and the inflammation goes down so it was touch and go for a while. Thankfully, yesterday pm, a third vet tried after an entire day of IV antibiotic and pain killer after I suggested they put him under for a number of hours (they give them anesthesia to insert the catheters but it's the kind that doesn't last so I told them to allow him to sleep for 5 or 6 hours non-stop) and it worked. I got the update this am and he is doing well, his potassium levels are already normal and the other kidney values are going down steadily, he is eating and calm so he might be coming home tomorrow pm after they take out the catheter and transition him from IV to oral meds. So far, $2,500 and counting (sigh).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 am

I've been owing you a long update for some time now but I am so very busy with the preparations for leaving the country that I really have not had the time. But I wanted to let you know that I found a wonderful home for the IRNs (in upstate NY - a state where they are legal) and that I am going this pm to do a home inspection for the YNA pair in the birdroom. I will let you know how it goes.
Once they are adopted, I will start looking for a home for the budgies, the plets and, possibly, the canaries, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:45 am

That place did not work out. The young man has very good intentions but very little knowledge about parrots... Had 3 macaws (one of them locked in a small cage that had a chain holding the door, grabbing the front bars and screaming his head off asking for attention), 2 GCCs that were not bonded and a pair of budgies but all the other birds were one of a kind: one senegal, one amazon, one alex, one cockatoo, one sun conure, one beebee, etc. He even had a dove in there but no seeds... No air purifier, no humidifier, no lights, not a single piece of produce to be seen anywhere, no toys, no branches, no ladders... just bowls with those crappy colored pellets all over the place. And the most pathetic looking M2 you can possible imagine, all plucked with broken blood feathers all over his body - not a single primary to be seen anywhere, not a single contour except on the head and a big bandage on his chest from where he has chewed up a hole in it, on a perch about 2 ft from the ground, all by himself with not a single anything to chew on... just perching there looking depressed.. and in the KITCHEN!!!! He claims I was rude because I told him he was doing wrong but I swear I was biting my tongue when all I wanted to do was scream at him, grab that poor bird, put him under my coat and run out of there!

And he kept on claiming he took excellent care of his birds! The poor, poor things...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 am

Sorry I haven't been around but it has been terrible around here! My old laptop was malfunctioning so I bought a new one but this one got frozen because of some site called parasiticness.com trying to hack into it so I had to take it to a techie to unlock it. Then we went a whole 24 hours without phone, internet or cable because a wind had unplugged or whatever the FIOS box on the corner pole. To top it off, I had a guy doing the upstairs bathroom demo, a carpenter working on the new porch (so we had to use the backdoor to come in and out of the house), a guy installing new flooring in a guest room, an electrician putting a new light in the entrance, a baseboard heater in the downstairs bathroom and new outlets in the kitchen and, to put the icing on the cake, I was still bottle feeding the tiny kitten my husband had found all alone in the backyard - and all the time trying to allow the birds as many hours of flight time possible and keeping them from attacking the workers (Javi Caique watches the front door like a hawk so he can bite the feet of any stranger that comes in) without any of them flying out the door. It has not been easy and, worst of all, the house is still a mess and everything has to be finished, clean and decorated in exactly ten days when my youngest daughter, Nya, and her kids arrive to spend Christmas with us - and I haven't bought a single present yet!

But I will try my best to catch up with postings starting tomorrow.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales