Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Camomile Tea

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Camomile Tea

Postby Sunny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 pm

We all know about camomile, it's calming, soothing, good for the skin, anti-inflammatory and a mild pain reliever.

I have to admit I rely on it a lot after my cockatiel, Alex, started being a little too mean to her buddy Japh and also whenever I see that their skin looks a little too flaky - then I mix it with water, spray it on, leave it on overnight and then wash it off the next day.

Now Alex is very different, don't get me wrong, chicca still has sass but she's a lot more mellow about things too, doesn't pick on him as much, willing to let things slide and I've even caught her begging to be preened a couple of times.

Japh on the otherhand ... is really enjoying not being put in his place by pushing his luck, she'll bend her head and ask for a scritch and he will knock her on the head. she'll come over for a cuddle and he'll get mighty jealous and take it out on her. he'll push her treats onto the floor and has become a lot more vocal. The get the same batch and everything but the results have been so different - has anyone else had any experience with camomile?
Sunny
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Camomile Tea

Postby viki » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am

wow im glad i read this, my :senegal: has been having a difficult time settling in with us and sometimes can seem very scared or for no reason at all very aggressive...even when we're across the room. Ill definately give it a go. should I add it to his water to drink as well or only spray it on him?
:greycockatiel: Little Bird the baby
:amazon: Lotto

:senegal: Skittles i will always love u and hold a place in my heart for u, after all u are my baby...be happy babe
viki
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Amazon
Flight: No

Postby HungryBird » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 am

I give my birds dried chamomile flowers from time to time. I have never noticed any difference in their behavior after ingesting chamomile. I'm not trying to calm them down, I just like to give them some flowers. I give them hibiscus too.
HungryBird
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Parakeets, Meyer's
Flight: Yes

Postby Kirsten » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:13 am

I know that Skittles ( :sun: ) likes tea in general, although I have yet to try him on Camomile. Doesn't it have some degree of sugar or caffeine? I would imagine that giving it too often might be detrimental to the bird's health. Also, I think that it depends on the bird regarding if they calm down or not from it. I know for a fact that caffeine makes me sleepy and grumpy, which is different from how other people react. Maybe your other bird just doesn't process the tea the same way.
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby gerrade » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:29 am

Chamomile is one of the oldest herbs still very popular around the world today. It was first used by the ancient Egyptian as medicine. Chamomile is often sipped for relief of ailments ranging from toothache to insomnia. Many people today use this herb as both a remedy to relieve anxiety and as a tisane herbal tea for enjoyment. The chamomile infusion has a floral aroma and fruity apple taste. Since it is caffeine free, it can be enjoy during any time of the day. The flower of Chamomile is very small and its buds are easy to be dry and fragile, which all determined by itself. The nature of Chamomile tea is warm, more suitable for public taste. And the shape of the flower is distinct, more suitable the pursuit of health and fashion you are. Brewing a cup of healthy tea for yourself on the free time of busy day. And Chamomile tea has a function of bright eyes, treating insomnia, lowering blood pressure and so on. I got it from here https://www.umiteasets.com/chamomile-floral-tea.html
gerrade
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: huamei bird in China

Postby Shaymal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Chamomile tea is absolutely great. At the moment I'm having trouble sleeping, so it helps me switch-off.

I was recommended to drink Chamomile drinks by a doctor, just had a cup of chamomile and honey with vanilla taste lovely, https://www.liquidimageco.com/chamomile-tea-with-honey/ I think ordinary tea bags are too acidic Which doesn't help my stomachs, also found coffee is out, as it irritates the bowels
Shaymal
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sparrow

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet