Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor safety

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Outdoor safety

Postby cstone01 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I was wondering if there is anyone who could possibly help with a question about outdoor safety for our alexandrine. We have been working for months now to get him okay with wearing a harness and he finally lets us put it on him without a fuss to go outside, I think it helps that he really seems to enjoy the outdoors and all the new things to see and hear. I have been taking him out briefly in the garden and when we sit on the porch in the afternoon. I have also considered taking him on short walks in the neighborhood but so far I have not. But I have a fear.

Although I have yet to see any in our yard I have seen a few dead hawks on the side of the road in our city and have a fear of one swooping down and taking him off my shoulder especially as he is so bright and visible. At my old home in another state I had seen hawks go for squirrels although I stood surprisingly near. Is this a valid fear? I also know it will be cold here soon and outdoor time is limited so maybe it is a bigger problem for the spring.

Thank you for your time it is reassuring to know there is a community available to ask for advice when questions come up.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Outdoor safety

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:46 pm

If you stay in more populated areas, keep the parrot on your hand, keep an eye out for hawks, and watch body language, you are quite safe. Almost no chance a hawk would snatch the parrot out of your hand but if your bird starts flying, that could trigger a prey drive. Also, watch your bird's body language. If you sense your bird tense up or get nervous, it might be seeing something you are not.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Outdoor safety

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 am

I don't know about a bird of prey snatching a bird from a human hand but there was one that snatched a cockatoo from its owner's shoulders - I posted the story some time ago, as matter of fact. It's hard to keep an eye for hawks or any other bird of prey... They can see perfectly well from a looooong distance and know how to position themselves in flight so the prey on the ground doesn't realize it's getting closer - and they are FAST!

Personally, I think that taking parrots outside causes them too much stress and it's not worth it. It takes a long time for the bird to become accustomed to it (because it causes them stress to be in an unfamiliar -read: dangerous- territory) and, once the cold weather starts, you have to stop so, the next year, you have to start from scratch all over again causing the bird more stress. And what is, exactly, the benefit for the bird? I bet it would much rather spend some quality time with its owner or another bird than go walking around a neighborhood... humans might think it's fun to do this but animals
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care