Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Should I get a second bird?

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Should I get a second bird?

Postby jadenfrancis » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:24 am

So a bit of backstory. I've had my Green Cheek for almost 2 years now and it's been a real journey. A lot of ups and downs, struggles, and breakthroughs, but in the end I love him to bits and he seems to love me (most of the time). I won't deny that it's been sort of tough, I've only ever had cats, dogs, and the occasional fish or hamster before, but never anything as challenging, yet rewarding, as my conure.

Here's my question: In your opinion, is getting another bird more, less, or equally challenging as getting the first? Do they become friends easily and keep each other company when I'm away? Is it easier to get the new bird used to me/the environment by watching my current one? Basically any pros/cons would be very helpful. Thanks
jadenfrancis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Flight: Yes

Re: Should I get a second bird?

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Should I get a second bird?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:10 am

Well, I actually look for mates for my birds as I believe that having a companion or mate of their own species enriches their lives immensely and, when it comes to GCCs, I've never had a problem pairing them as they seem to 'take' to their new friend easily and quickly.

If you know for a fact you have a male, get an adult female but, if your bird is not DNAd a male, I suggest you find out first which gender it is. Don't get a baby because yours is no longer one and adults don't bond to babies that are not their own but it doesn't really matter if the female is 2 or 10 years old as long as it is an adult, too.

Michael's video is good and I suggest you follow the instructions but I doubt you will have too much trouble getting them to like one another.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions