Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Feather Stain removal

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Feather Stain removal

Postby cstone01 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:08 pm

A few days ago Hephaestion was given a bowl of pomegranate arils and managed to get the juice all over his face.(he has never done this before, he must have put his whole head in there digging for a hidden treasure. Anyway he is now significantly stained red and looks super ratty. He will bathe in bowls but doesn’t put his face in. I got him wet in the shower yesterday but it didn’t budge the stain.. the juice also didn’t come out of the sweat shirt I was wearing peeling the pomegranate after I washed it. Is there a way to get it off or will it just wear off eventually? Thank you for your time.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Feather Stain removal

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am

It wears off... My birds do get their feet and faces stained sometimes whenever they eat something with a deep color - things like blackberries, pomegranate, black cherries, etc. but I don't obsess over it because getting the stain out requires stressing the bird out and stress is the enemy and to be avoided at all costs. But for him to have ended up with his entire face stained, you must have given him a chunk and not just the seeds, like I do. It's cleaner with just the seeds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:07 pm

It was just the seeds but I put them on top of his bowl. I think he was digging to get something in the bottom of the bowl, I don’t know how he managed it really but I will probably not give him as many in the future. Maybe they popped while he was eating them? the juice got all over the wall behind his cage as well like it shot out. Luckily I noticed and wiped it off before it stained there.

Thank you for your response
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 am

Ah, yes, walls, cage bars and floors all get stained (as well as 'sprinkled' with teeny tiny bits stuck to them)... We paint the walls twice a year because of that problem (there is only so much cleaning you can do before you start scrubbing off the paint).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care