Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New member!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New member!

Postby Hong&Rupert » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Hiya! I'm Hong and I have a quaker parrot ! Rupert or ''pollito'' which means chick. We are from Paraguay(so sorry If my english is bad), we have been together since february! my country is little and altough we should be the ones who take better care of quakers we certainly fail at it misserably! My whole life I believed that Parrots only live for up to 3-4 years if u are lucky. I have seen countless Parrots eating stuff like chocolate and meat with cages never getting cleaned and consumed by oxide. Just so you know how bad we are... I have been yelled at because I wouldn't let someone feed Rupert cake, telling me that Parrots are the ones who consume the most sugar. :(
Ever since I got Rupert I have been trying my best, realizing that there's a bunch of stuff that should be took care of. Even If I can't give my little pollito everything he deserves, I love him unconditionally and I believe that I can make the best life for him.
''Parrot stuff'' is really hard for us to get, our tops are toys that are not made out of the correct materials and the food is also hard to get, so we end up looking up for a lot of seeds, fruit and herbs.
:danicing:
Nice to meet you and I hope I can get to know you and learn from your experience, we are really looking forward to learn and grow! :danicing:
Hong&Rupert
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: New member!

Postby liz » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:22 am

Welcome to the forum Hong. I love how you love Rupert.

Feeding a bird is easy if you think ahead. He can eat most any green. When you fix your meal you can give him foods before adding salt, butter or sugar.e
Mine like cooked oatmeal before I add the butter, milk and sugar. You can give him the lettuce and tomato off your sandwich. Supper could be any vegie or carb that does not have salt, sugar or butter.
FiYou can feed a good quality seed and give it just before bed time

Other members will come on and give you more info on foods and lighting. A parrot is a wonderful pet but it does take a lot of research and work. I have learned a lot from this forum. I am still learning even after the 8 years.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: New member!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 am

Hi, Hong and Rupert and welcome to the forum! I am from Uruguay and we also fail miserably at taking good care of our quakers but, in reality, it's not that hard to find food for them. All fruits, vegetables and greens are good and, when it comes to seeds, do try not to give him too many of them and replace them with cooked grains like wheat, barley, brown rice, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions