Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Safe materials

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Safe materials

Postby Hong&Rupert » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi everyone! I come from a little country and our "politics " about parrots are really strange and misinformed. I have a Quaker, Rupert, and this Christmas I'm giving Him a bigger new cage! I want to know what kind of stuff I can make toys of? I have been reading a lot and I'm still a little bit worried. Rupert is a super chewer and dare I say he eats everything he can. :monk:
What materials are safe? Is foam ok? What about beads? There's special sizes? I'm scared he could just swallow em!
Hong&Rupert
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Safe materials

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! Male Quakers love little sticks - either branches (the little one used for kindling) or the ice pop sticks they sell in the craft stores. Females like soft material like balsa wood, dried yucca medallions, knotted sisal rope (the untreated kind) etc. I do not use any foam, plastic, cloth or beads (even if they look big enough for them not to swallow and even the ones made out of wood).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Hong&Rupert » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:54 pm

thx so much! rn Rupert plays with wooden beads that are like the size of his head, and little pompoms made out of paper. I'm worried that the toys are not enough for him! We don't really have anything as there's rarely anything available for us to purchase!
Hong&Rupert
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:16 am

Well, in reality, parrots do not need purchased toys, all they need is something safe to chew so untreated sisal rope, branches, cork, balsa wood, cardboard, pinecones, acorns, etc work out just fine for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY