Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

i want to purchase a baby Parrot

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

i want to purchase a baby Parrot

Postby danielllv24 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 pm

I'm a new member to this community. my dad just bought a baby parrot and I'm not sure why or how but it past away today. the baby parrot was not pooping so I'm assuming that was the cause or it led to some other cause. I have not seen my dad that sad in a while. since we're all dealing with a tuff time due to the coronavirus and he is too, I want to buy a baby parrot. I've been watching videos on how to take care of it, feeding, and how to train it. I'm not sure if this forum allows people to sell parrot but if anyone knows a person or a great website where they sell baby parrot, please!please, please let me know. my number is (951)3164697 Thank You
danielllv24
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Re: i want to purchase a baby Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 am

Welcome to the forum and I am so sorry your baby parrot died but, my dear, unless you had a necropsy done and it revealed that the cause of death was not a contagious disease or anything that could have been prevented, I suggest you wait a bit and do a thorough disinfection of the entire house.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you adopt an adult instead of buying a baby because, in truth, raising a baby parrot is not something that can be done correctly without experience and, if the baby was not pooping, it was because it was not eating.... I am not blaming or criticizing you, I am just pointing out that this was a very easy symptom to spot but it was, apparently, missed and the baby was not taken to the vet. Did you even have an avian vet for it?

Adults are easier in more ways than one. For one thing, they survived infancy (most pet parrots died before they are 2 years old), their immune system is already fully developed AND what you see is what you get in terms of personality -a big plus for people who have no experience handling a parrot, which is NOT an easy thing to do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby danielllv24 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Thank you for responding back. I did not perform a necropsy on the parrot, my reason for its death was an assumption. the baby parrot was eating. I feed it three times a day. every time I feed my baby parrot, it was willing to eat. I didn't need to force-feed it. the reason why I didn't take it to the vet is that now we became a family that lives check by check due to the COVID-19. and taking it to the vet wasn't in our budget, yet(before COVID it was)... my baby parrot didn't poop for three days so I was hoping and praying that it would on the fourth day, but that's the day it passed away. I understand it is difficult to care for a baby parrot; it ain't easy, but we're going to continue to try.
thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
danielllv24
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:24 am

Again, raising a baby is not something that should be done without experience. Parrots, especially babies, poop every few minutes so an entire morning or afternoon without pooping would have been a HUGE red flag for anybody with a little bit of knowledge or experience in birds. I am actually surprised the poor baby lasted three days without pooping - and I don't even want to think about how much that poor baby must have suffered for those three whole days! Something went terribly wrong because, obviously, the bird had either an impacted crop or an occlusion -both things are treatable but you need to catch them in time. I do hear you on the covid19 situation - my own avian vet is closed because of it and I lost two birds recently but I don't think that the vet would have been able to do much more for them because once they presented symptoms, they declined and went very fast despite getting medicine, heat and hand-feedings -which is pretty much what the vet would have done anyway...

Please, do not get another baby, you need A LOT more knowledge than what you now have before you can deal with one. Baby birds are actually quite hardy if you know what you are doing but there is no real leeway in terms of mistakes...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions