Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker questions!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Quaker questions!!

Postby Judefathi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Hey guys im new to the forum so i have no idea what i should post the topic under! Sorry if its wrong
Anyways im also a new parrot owner. I got my quaker a month or so ago and he/she is a sweetheart but seems terrified of anything other than humans and his/her cage. I cant leave him/her on the table or the floor they have to be on my shoulder snuggled up to me or else he/she gets stressed, shaky, and starts breathing hard. Doent mind me touching and petting even kissing. Snuggles up to me fine but if its in the cage and i try to have it come to me it just backs away (no biting or screaming). Im honestly terrified of mistreating my bird because i heard that people accidentally do that i just want to know if i should be worried or not and any tips anyone has about raising quaker parrots. :monk:
Judefathi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: A pair of parakeets and a quaker parrot.
Flight: Yes

Re: Quaker questions!!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am

Welcome to the forum, Jude and Quaker (you did not tell us its name :cry: ). Now, there is one VERY important information missing from your post: how old is this bird? Are we talking about a baby or an adult? If a baby, how old is it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Judefathi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:32 pm

My quaker is under a year old so still a baby but definitely over 3 months old. I dont know exactly how old because they never told me. His/her name is koko and is a sweetheart.
Judefathi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: A pair of parakeets and a quaker parrot.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:37 am

Koko is a WONDERFUL name for a quaker! Very easy for them to recognize and say (always call its name first thing you do when you see it, repeating it a couple of times so it becomes familiar with it).

Well, you do have a baby and babies tend to be insecure so it's normal for them to want to spend all their time with somebody (they evolved to be never alone). Feed it soft foods (two kinds served warm and fresh twice a day) and spend as much time as you can with it ON you. Also, make sure it's kept at a strict solar schedule for a healthy endocrine system and that it's allowed to fly (is it clipped?). Do not put your hand inside its cage, simply open the door and allow it to come out on its own and, once it climbs to the top of the cage or alights anywhere in the room, ask it to step up to your hand BUT if it doesn't want to, just ask one more time and if it still does not want to do it, do not insist, walk away, do something for a few minutes and then come back to ask again (this will teach it the Step up! command).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales