Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lovely Morning

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Lovely Morning

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:28 am

I got up this morning and rushed over to uncover Truman's cage to get him out before he drops a big poop. I try to get him onto his training perch (which has a newspaper underneath) to poop because that saves me all the effort of cleaning the grate out. Well I put him on the perch and he sat around for 5 minutes doing nothing. Then he randomly decided to fly off and landed on my window shades. Then he decided to let out everything he'd been holding in all night! It cascaded down the vertical blinds like a slow water fall and managed to leave a trail down every single shade. To make it worse it made its way down the shades and onto the sill and wall below and eventually to the floor. I spent all morning cleaning bird crap out of my window blinds and had to wipe each vertical insert individually.

Here is just one more reason NOT to get a parrot. If you're not ready to handle something like this, then don't get one. This is not a pro-clipping statement, however. Clipped birds drop poop in bad places no less. So if you cannot handle a pet that poops in places you don't want, then the answer is not clipping but rather not getting one all together.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Lovely Morning

Postby tacotaco » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 am

LOL that is the worst. :lol:
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby miajag » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

I don't understand why you don't want him to poop in his cage. Do you clean it out every time he poops?
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:28 am

You should see the size of what he poops out in the morning! If I don't wipe it off the grate immediately, it hardens and practically requires to be scraped off. Also, one morning he did one that ran down the side of the cage and required cleaning all the bars that it hardened on. Not fun.

Kili is much better. She holds it in, I let her out in the morning. She flies to her perch, takes care of business. She barely poops in her cage at all and I can do much less cleaning and it's cleaner for her that way.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 am

Aren't pets (and kids) wonderful...lol...

You live, you poop... :lol:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Mr.Darcy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Yup, gros....Depending on the blinds, you could remove them and put them in the bathtub to clean. Less likely to bend the blinds that way...
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby bmsweb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:37 pm

My son had our 21 day old Conure on Our Bed and I told him to keep the little bugger under the drop sheet I had on the bed. So my son lets him venture off to the end of the drop sheet and this little bugger lets it go all over our bed!! I'm telling my son off while trying to get something to wipe it off, he's laughing and my wife is telling me off!!

Even though the baby conures are small, their droppings are 100% full size now :?

Yes birds are great like that.

BTW: to clean the grate on our cages, I hose it down and give it a light brush while cleaning the rest of the cage and then I go back and repeat the process every now and then while cleaning the rest of the cage. This softens up the dropping and take a layer off each time you brush.
bmsweb
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby el-parrot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm

el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 am

This morning I wasn't going to chance a repeat of yesterday so I cautiously took Truman out of his cage and rushed him to his stand. I stood in front of him for 5 minutes blocking his path for flight. Nothing. I started getting suspicious that perhaps I hadn't notice a fresh mud monkey sitting in his cage (that has happened before where I took him out of his cage to poop but later discovered he had laid a nice fudge dragon on a perch and I missed seeing it cause it wasn't on the bottom). I walked to check his cage but sure enough there was not a new chocolate hot dog hiding in a corner or on a high perch. I went back and stayed with Truman until he finally dropped the 15g mother load that he'd been holding in all night. At this point I felt safe enough to have him do recall flights and fly around.
Michael
Macaw

Postby bmsweb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Michael wrote:finally dropped the 15g mother load

Man that's a 7 day old Green Cheek Conure :lol:
bmsweb
Amazon