Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?

Postby arimatoko » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Any exotic bird owners on the forum?
I have had, in the past, a conure that was given to me, a problem bird that I could not manage.
I also hand raised/fed a Yellow Nape Amazon. Great bird but it needed far more attention than our working family could give it so I gave it to my cousin who raises African Greys. I wouldn't even think of asking for the bird now that I am retired and have time to give to a bird.
I am now retired and getting a Senegal parrot for a companion bird. I am waiting for the bird to be weaned at present and it's being hand fed by the breeder with it's siblings.
Here is a video of a guy that taught his a number of tricks~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unO5whIUF-Mgclubbig
I have always wanted a MaCaw but they are noisy and we just don't have the room for one.
arimatoko
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: spix's macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:19 am

Hi, Ari and welcome to the forum! We all have exotic birds here - every single one of us because all . parrots are considered exotic pets.

Now, you say that you did not have time for an amazon and that a conure was too difficult so you are now opting for a Senegal because, although you would love a macaw, your home is too small (mine is too because they need rooms that are, at least, 30 ft long to fly) and they are too loud but, my dear, senegals are more difficult that conures, they need much more attention than any amazon AND they can be pretty loud, too. A female I took in when I had the bird rescue was given to me because the owner was afraid that she was going to get evicted from her apartment due to her birds constant and loud screams. So, if I were you, I would reconsider the whole thing. Mind you, I am not suggesting you don't get the Senegal, only that you do a bit more research because it seems to me that you did not have the right information when you made your decision. If you want an easy, quiet bird that does not take up a lot of your personal time, get a bonded pair of cockatiels - they are perfect for what you want: pretty, smart, affectionate, quiet (but only if you keep it at a solar schedule and the right diet) and they can keep each other company and live very happily that way even if you don't have hours and hours to spend with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic