Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I just found my male parakeet mating with my female conure.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

I just found my male parakeet mating with my female conure.

Postby jaisonmonson » Tue May 05, 2020 11:55 am

I'm sorry if this is a silly or stupid question, I thought we did all of our research before getting birds but apparently not.

For some context, I have two male parakeets (unknown ages, but the male in question is likely about 3 years old) and a female green cheek conure who is 1. We have their cages open when we are home, and they all mostly hang out in/on the large cage where the parakeets sleep. We are careful to only pet the conure on her head/neck (the parakeet doesn't let us touch him) and we do not feed them warm or soft foods. She has tried to regurgitate or rub her cloaca on me in the past, but we discouraged the behavior and it's mostly stoppedנערות ליווי בחיפה

Today I found the parakeet and conure mating (from what I can tell at least, they were in the mating position and he was making a sound I had never heard from him before). When I got closer they stopped, then started again when I walked away so I separated them.

I know how harmful mating behaviors can be when directed at humans, but I can't seem to find any information on mating behaviors directed at different breeds of parrots. Is this behavior unhealthy, and should we be discouraging it/separating them?
jaisonmonson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: I just found my male parakeet mating with my female conure.

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum. Actually, I do not think that any breeding behavior is harmful to birds. What is harmful is for a bird to be so hormonal or so confused about its identity that it wants to 'mate' with a human - not because the actual action is harmful per se but because of what it means in terms of physical and/or emotional health for the bird (meaning, for this to happen, the bird has to be overly hormonal which means their endocrine system is out of whack).

Now, personally, I would not discourage them at all. It is, after all, a perfectly natural behavior this time of the year as it is spring (I have several birds that are nesting and having sex right now). What puzzles me is your comment that your one year old GCC has already tried to masturbate on you because, at one, she is not sexually mature yet -she would be the equivalent of a tween so, although she could be a bit precocious and might have already started producing sexual hormones, they should not be present in such quantity in her bloodstream so as to provoke that behavior. Is it possible that she is actually older than one? Is she being kept at a strict solar schedule with 2 hours of exposure to dawn and dusk? Is she being fed anything with soy in it? Freefed protein food? Because the behavior you mention should not be happening at all - much less so early.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions