Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness for smaller birds?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Harness for smaller birds?

Postby rakeshvenkat » Sat May 16, 2020 7:06 am

I recently had a clutch of kakarikis hatch, sadly only one of them survived. It’s now 6 weeks old and is becoming rather tame.

Are kakarikis large enough to use a harness on once it’s fully grown? Do you have any recommendations for specific harnesses? I live in Sweden and birds aren’t as common here as in the US so id probably have to order it through the german amazon.
rakeshvenkat
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parrot
Flight: No

Re: Harness for smaller birds?

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 16, 2020 8:06 am

I am not sure because I do not use harnesses on my birds as I never take them out on the street (I think it's extremely stressful to them, it's risky and it serves no real purpose) but I think there is a brand that do sells them in small sizes. Having said that, I would NOT recommend it for a tiny aviary bird. They are just too flighty and not people-oriented at all (they are aviary, not companion birds and it doesn't matter if you hand-feed them or not) so the potential physical and emotional damage is way too high for them. But, if there were, please take into consideration that you cannot train a bird until it's almost an adult - training a baby can cause irreparable trauma, most especially if we are talking aviary species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat May 16, 2020 9:33 am

I have a small GCC. I tried to get her used to the harness, but it was so hard to get over her head, and so stressful for her, I gave up on it.

I’ve seen goffins and macaws who were easy to harness, but I always felt that I was one wrong move away from killing my small bird with the thing. (I had an aviator in petite.)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat May 16, 2020 10:40 am

Personally, I don't like harnesses for anything smaller than a Cockatiel. I think a Kakriki is about the size of a Cockatiel in which case a Petite Aviator Harness would be ok. Might be mini. Depends on the size and weight of the bird based on the chart. Once you get to medium birds like Amazons and bigger, the harness is great. On smaller birds like Cockatiels through Jardine's they're ok. But, it's always better safe with one outside than without. I can ship to Sweden, you can select international at checkout for a quote. Good luck.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to General Parrot Care