Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Safe Wood Finishes or Stains for birds?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Safe Wood Finishes or Stains for birds?

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 pm

If I was going to make something out of wood(not for birds to chew on obviously speaking) but, as more of a decoration or furniture piece. What finish or stain could I use that is safe for birds just in case if they chew or peck at it? I heard that oil-based stains are dangerous so that would probably be just as true if not more for alcohol-based stains. So water-based stains are probably my only option. But, I also heard that it's the fumes that are toxic not necessarily the stains itself. I tried to make sure what I am making is safe for birds using maple since maple isn't toxic like red oak is. I tried to go all-natural so I thought of using shellac as a finish but, it turns out that's toxic to parrots(Which I am guessing it would be just the as toxic to other birds as well.) I think linseed oil is safe(raw not boiled) also tung oil should be safe as well.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: Safe Wood Finishes or Stains for birds?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 am

Well, not ALL maple is safe (see this: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/varieties ... 63160.html)

As to a wood finish... well, I use ONLY completely untreated wood but linseed oil and beewax are safe.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:53 pm

I know red maple isn't safe for birds that I am aware of. I read on other websites it is considered toxic because of the bark and the leaves.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:05 am

The wood boards we use in the birdroom are all untreated pine. I don't use anything else but pine because it's safe, cheap, easily available and the birds chew it very well as it's soft enough for the softer beaks, like the caiques', but hard enough to entertain Linus Too and the zons during breeding season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:02 pm

If I was going to keep this around non parrots a passerine for instance then would the stain or finish still matter? I know that many stains and finishes are really only toxic during the application process because of the fumes they emit. Once they are completely dry they are supposedly safe, and no longer emit any fumes. Now this may differ when it comes to parrots who may have the strong possibility of chewing and ingesting whatever was what put on the wood. So in that case I would treat it almost like if it is safe for babies/toddlers. Since they both investigate things with their mouths. What's worst is while babies/toddlers may ingest whatever was put on the wood, parrots take it one step further and may actually ingest bits of the wood due to their powerful beaks.

I would use untreated pine if I actually wanted the birds to actually interact with what I am making. Like if I was going to make a play stand,flat corner platform, ladders, swings, etc. Pine is the cheapest wood out there, and I could virtually make it into all kinds of bird toys.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:41 am

If the finished wood is on the outside only and the birds are not parrots, it should be OK.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 am

Okay, thank you very much for your patience.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby janarbeth » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:27 am

I'm sure your bird-safe creation will be a fantastic addition to your space!
janarbeth
Parakeet

Postby amycampbell » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:50 am

You're absolutely right about avoiding oil-based and alcohol-based stains. Water-based stains are a safer bet. As for finishes, you're on the right track with linseed and tung oil. They should be safe for your avian pals. Just ensure they're fully cured before introducing them to the birds. And while you're crafting, maybe there's some interesting wagtail bird symbolism that could inspire your project or simply add a unique touch.
amycampbell
Parakeet

Postby alex_dks » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 pm

Always allow finishes to dry and cure completely before introducing birds to the object.

Opt for food-grade versions of natural oils like linseed and tung oil for extra assurance.
alex_dks
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: two

Return to General & Off Topic