Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Position on Feral Parrots?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Position on Feral Parrots?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 am

I eat farmed tilapia, shrimp (not too often because my husband has high cholesterol) and sardines. On occasion, I eat sustainable dark tuna because every time there is a party, I am asked to make deviled eggs as my recipe is a great favorite of everybody in the family (even my ex-husband asks for them -LOL). I love mussels but I no longer eat them (to my husband's great consternation and constant complaints) because you have to throw them into the boiling water while still alive. And I do not go to any restaurant that has a tank with live lobsters - one of the incredibly cruel practices that, for some strange reason, everybody accepts and nobody seems to see any wrong with...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 am

In Asian markets that's a big thing I use to be really squeamish as a kid because they will butcher the fish right in front of your eyes. I will admit I wish they would just kill all the crustaceans before boiling them. My grandma she at least kill crabs before they are boiled.

Just wondering why does the tilapia have to be farmed or is that just what you eat? My mom's family is a a big fishing one literally all of my uncles, and cousins been fishing. In inland lakes all the fish are technically "farmed" because they are stocked from fish hatcheries. But, my family mostly goes pier fishing since that's a big thing over in California.

P.S. I absolutely love deviled eggs.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:46 am

I choose to eat farmed fish because, in my mind, there is something wrong with killing an animal that was meant to be free... I wasn't always like this - the older I get, the more radical I have become in terms of what is wrong and what is right about animals. When I was a little girl, my parents had a summer house in the seaside and there was this long pier where people went to fish with regular poles (you know, a pole with one line, sinker, hook, etc) and what we call 'lengue-lengue' which is used to fish for silverside (aka smelt) and it's a regular fishing pole with a line BUT there are several lines coming off the 'main' line and all of them end up in hooks so you can catch many fish at once. My oldest brother and my godfather used to have contests to see who could catch the most and they would come back before noon with, literally, hundreds of fish which we used to fry for lunch. We also used to catch them 'a la encandilada' - it literally means 'at blinding glare' because it's done at night, in the shallow waters of the beach and carrying a lamp -the fish are attracted to the light and all you have to do is dip the net (it's a special one called 'mediomundo' -it literally means 'half world' and it's a perfect half of a sphere) in the water and bring it up to get A LOT of fish in it. I did not do any fishing because I always felt sorry for the fish - but I would eat them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Well, if you think about it all animals were meant to be free. Domestication only occurred because people found certain animals useful for different purposes. Dogs are useful for hunting, shepherding, and guarding, cats are useful for pest control, livestock, and poultry are useful for food, and products(skins, feathers, milk, and eggs.)

I virtually see no difference in killing a wild or captive animal. Capturing a wild animal is a different story because you are taking away their freedom. But, there is nothing wrong with killing wild animals as long as it's sole purpose is food, there is also if an wild animal is a either a threat or a potential one to humans and or their animals. Now, that being said there are certain things that are completely wrong killing animals for skins, feathers, horns, antlers, tusks I understand that is not necessary it's done out of pride.

I go fishing not because I like to kill fish, but because I love catching them. Also I love nature, I find fishing very calming and relaxing it's just you and the water. I will sometimes eat the fish I catch but, I will also release them. I used to feel bad for eating meat as well I tried to go vegetarian a couple of times that didn't work. I think if you are aware of the process that goes in your food you will either do one of two things: Be more appreciative, and try not to waste so much food by eating less meat or stop eating meat in its entirely.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am

Well, it's all a matter of personal perspective. The way I look at it (and I am not saying it's the right or only way of looking at things), an animal bred for meat belongs to a species created by man and not by nature so it would never make it out there. It does not really miss 'the wild' because it was not created for it and never knew anything different than captivity. It would also never have a chance at normal reproduction so, as long as it has a comfortable life until it reaches adulthood and then is put down in a humane way, I have no moral qualms about eating them (as long as they are not smart enough to realize what is going on). A wild animal is a natural being that evolved to have a certain kind of life and would be perfectly able to fulfill its destiny as long as it's not killed by a human. There is, in my personal opinion, a profound difference between the two: one is unnatural and has no chance and the other is natural and does. And nobody really hunts for food - hunters might end up eating part of the animal they killed but they did not hunt for the meat, they hunted for the fun of it.

Back when I was a young girl and would go, on very few occasions, fishing with my brother and godfather, I also used to release the fish back but I stopped doing it because taking the hook off the fish made me feel like crap! Those hooks can hurt real bad... and hurting an animal for no other reason than because the activity is fun did not feel right to me. But, if we were in a post-apocalyptic world and I had to provide my own food, I could fish and kill the fish so I could eat it. I can bring myself to kill a small fish but I doubt I could bring myself to kill anything else...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm

I kind of know how you feel I felt like crap to be completely honest when I have to kill pests for instance gophers or rats. I did tear up a bit after that happened, and I still haven't got over it. Even though rats are hated throughout the entire world I still felt bad for killing it because I could tell it was in pain even though I tried to be as humane as possible.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:32 am

Not everybody hates rats... I certainly don't. Many years ago I read a book called: "Animals nobody loves" and it was about wolves, rats, spiders, etc. and described all the good things about these animals and I learned then how very intelligent, social and loving rats are - they also said that they are completely fearless warriors and the best mothers ever. Aside from that, everybody knows they are big survivors and I admire any species that can make it even when faced with terrible odds. I also like mice and spiders and worms and centipedes and all kinds of 'yucky' animals and the best thing I have done as a mother and grandmother is instill the love and wonder of nature to the 'portion' of the younger generations under my supervision. I am very lax when it comes to parenting... According to my husband, I allow, forgive AND give too much but there is one thing that is NOT overlooked or forgiven and which will bring a strong scolding and a quick smack: any action that disregards an animal's wellbeing - and ignorance is not an excuse. I am not talking cruelty because that would never happen in my house but even bothering an animal would come to a fast stop with me.

I have a grandson WHO has ADHD and he can be a handful when it comes to obedience... He used to visit me a lot because, like I said before, I am very forgiving and flexible and I LOVE children so I not only pay a lot of attention to them but spend a lot of time playing, watching movies, etc. with them and he loves the personal attention I give him (I am also hyperactive so his level of activity doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people). One day, he became interested in Javi Caique because I pointed out the three different walks he has (the normal, the soldier and the Leroy Brown walk) and I caught him putting a stick in front of him when Javi did NOT want to step up so he got a scolding. But a few minutes later, he cried out because Javi had bit him twice on his hand (hard, he drew blood). Why? Because he had kept on bothering him and had put his hand too close to him while kind of pushing with the stick in front of his chest, still trying to make him step up to it. I was so angry with him that I had my husband drive him home and was not allowed to come back for two weeks! He never did it again because I told him that if I ever caught him bothering an animal again, he would not be able to come back to my house - EVER! Now, he is very careful of Javi, especially because, since this happened, Javi has taken a thorough dislike of him and goes after him every time he comes to visit (Javi is a cantankerous bird who doesn't like anybody but me).

But, there is no need to kill mice or rats, there are humane traps for them and all you have to do is release them in an safe area. Our house had A LOT of mice when we first moved in - and it took years for us to get rid of them because I absolutely refuse to use poison or traps that hurt or kill them so my husband kept on closing the holes they would open on the walls and I kept on putting the ones I trapped outside until they were all gone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:20 am

I am a uncle of seven kids I think I am over protective of one of my nieces in particular. I love kids they are so sweet, my niece is the sweetest thing ever. She is 4 already I believe she pretends to be a chef and to cook you food. The way she talks is absolutely adorable.

I hate poison because it can kill non target animals as well. I heard of incidents of birds of prey dying after consuming the corpses of target animals(like rats) because they consumed the poison as well.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 am

Yes, poison kills more animals than the 'target' ones... but, when it comes to mouse and rat poison, it's worse than that because what the poison does is inhibit the coagulant in their blood and the animals takes days and days and days of sheer agony to die (their insides slowly liquify!). Death is part of life but no animal should have to suffer such a terrible agony before death.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic