Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hypothetical Future Bird Room

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Hypothetical Future Bird Room

Postby banuvatt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm

I would love to have a bird room when I get older. I love the Parrot Wizard's bird room how it has tiles on the walls, epoxy coated concrete floor, and floor drain to make it easy cleaning. If I had a bird room I would probably cover the walls, and the floor with tiles put perches all over the sides of the rooms, and hanging from the ceiling. I would put a double door as a safety precaution, stainless steel grid panel replacing the window screen.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: Hypothetical Future Bird Room

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

If, by perches, you mean natural tree branches, then your birdroom will be great. Of course, if it had an exit to an outdoor aviary where they can fly around and take the sun then it would be perfect.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Michael's bird room I believe has that(birdroom having access to an outdoor aviary.) I use the words "perches" interchangeably with what is meant by natural tree branches. I would use natural tree branches if I can find any safe trees local in my area. If I am still living in California we have tons of Eucalyptus trees I could use. But, most likely not since California is really expensive. If I made a outdoor aviary connecting to my bird room I would probably have to secure it. Like put hardware mesh underneath the aviary and covering it with dirt, or putting bricks, cinder blocks underneath the entire parameter of the aviary. It depends mostly on location if I built it on concrete then it wouldn't be necessary to put something under as protection. I think maybe another double door would be necessary from the outdoor aviary into the backyard just to keep the birds from flying out just in case I need to go into the backyard.I don't think it's necessary to put a double door between the bird room, and the aviary unless if it's done out of safety reasons. e.g. you go into the aviary before letting the birds in there to observe if there is any noticeable damage that could lead them to escape.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:28 am

I would NOT put a door to the backyard - you are risking somebody coming in and stealing the birds (we get reports of this happening all the time). I was going to move back home and make a birdroom with an outdoor aviary attached to it and I was planning on using a dirt floor in it because it's more natural than anything else one can think of - grass will grow from the seeds they throw and a little 'ecosystem' with insects and such will be created, the rain will be absorbed by the soil instead of one having to sweep it toward a drain PLUS it's easily cleaned with a rake. What you need to put is mosquito screens all around (lots of disease is transmitted through insects- and some sort of a partial roof so they are not directly exposed to the sun all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm

You could try polycarbonate roof panels as a roof it's tough and durable also it's dirt cheap. The sun will still be able to shine through but it won't be direct. I would put locks on all my doors and take the birds inside before it gets dark.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 am

Polycarbonate is transparent and it does not provide shade PLUS in order for it not to have the UV blockers, you would need to special order it. Locks are easily broken into - even chains can be easily cut with the right tool. I am SUPER DUPER careful of my animals - have never lost a dog, a cat and, although I did lose some birds when a branch came flying through the air in a storm and broke the birdroom window, I have never lost a bird for 'regular' reasons.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 pm

What is the frame of your outdoor aviary going to be made from? Wood, metal? Suntop roofing is made from poly-carbonate and it isn't transparent, you can find it at a home depot.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 am

Well, if you are making a partial roof of the completely opaque colored one, then it should be OK. But make sure it is the completely opaque because the regular colored one has a light transmission rate of over 90% and that will give it a strong hothouse effect.

I am no longer in a position to build an outdoor aviary but, if I did, I would use wood covered in metal sheeting (like they do when they do siding on a house).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing