Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Idk what this is.. good news!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Idk what this is.. good news!

Postby CaketheParrot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:47 am

Hey Pajarita :) I recently joined a few parrot Discord servers and I think you’ll be pleased to know many chop recipea have evolved to have many of the nutritional aspects of gloop- complete with veggies, grains, beans, and additional things like flax seeds and chia seeds! Only difference that remains is that the chop is still being finely minced. That’s it, just thought you’d like to know parrot nutrition is improving :)
Thanks and love from Cake :gray:
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray, Finch, Canary
Flight: Yes

Re: Idk what this is.. good news!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:03 am

Oh, yes, indeed it is! When I first started with parrots, back in 1992, EVERYBODY fed wrong. Sheesh, just thinking what I used to feed mine makes me shudder! We knew so little that the few pellets there were then were made based on the same recipe they were using for chickens! But, as their natural diets became more studied and their physiology better understood, we started learning and improving. Chop has always been finely chopped (hence the name, right?) but my birds do not like it that way and, in truth, it is not natural for a parrot to eat anything that finely cut so I would assume that it takes longer to transition them to it. I mean, in the wild, they eat the whole fruit - in most cases, eating part of it and even leaving the rest hanging from the branch. People now call chop something that is made with grains but, when it first started, chop was just chopped fresh veggies (which are not as nutritious as the frozen ones). I started making gloop for an amazon with high uric acid because I realized that seeds were not good for them if free-fed. As an FYI, I no longer use beans in my gloop, I only use black lentils (or brown in the rare occasions when I don't have them and I am in a hurry to make more gloop) and in a much smaller proportion than grains because, although grains and seeds are natural food for parrots/birds, beans are not. Animals eat peas but they don't eat beans because they are toxic in their natural state (most mammals can actually smell the bad lectins in them).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet