Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Postby Birdnjack » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 am

Hello all! I’m the new and first time owner of a lovely Cape Parrot who is only 7 mo old.

He likes to sleep on the edge of his metal food or water dish. I don’t think it’s good for his claws so I bought him a round bed but he doesn’t use it. I take the metal dish out at night and he’s very unhappy! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Birdnjack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: New member

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:14 am

Hi, Jack and cape (you did not tell us its name), I don't know what kind of perches you have in the cage but the best are natural tree branches of different diameters. For roosting (the perch where they sleep), I use a Sweetfeet of the right thickness because it helps to keep the claws dull and for them not to grow too much. Also, the roosting perch should always be placed up on top (leaving enough space for the bird to 'stand up' without hunching) so the bird is at the human's eye level when the human is standing up (birds do not like giants looming over them), to the back of the cage (and the cage should be placed against a wall to make it a 'blind side' -it makes them feel safe because they know no predator will come from this side) and catty corner. Try that and see if it doesn't work.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Birdnjack » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi-his name is Popeye. I took the dish out and moved a natural wood perch in its place. He screamed a bit but now ok. How do I know what size perch is best For him to sleep on? I have a few sizes.
Thanks for the response.
Heidi
Birdnjack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 am

Popeye is a great name! :D Actually, you should put branches of different diameters (thickness) and don't even try to put them perfectly parallel to the floor. And stick some ticker ones with little branches sticking out of it on the outside of the cage by tying a couple to the sides -if you put only one it would unbalance the cage itself- with untreated sisal rope -put at least one going up and ending a fair distance above the top of the cage... kind of like a little tree). The only one that should be fairly parallel to the floor and of the perfect diameter is the roosting perch and the thickness should be so when the bird is perching on it, the foot, toes and claws cover about 3/4 of the circumference so, when you look at the tips of the claws, the ones from the two front toes and the ones from the two back toes don't touch and leave, instead, a bit less than 1/4 of the branch/perch surface uncovered.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby georgefernandis » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks.............
Browse the best motivational quotes, inspirational quotes and other funny, sad, friendship quotes & status. Stories, suvichar & thoughts in hindi. motivational quotes hindi
georgefernandis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Introductions