Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Behavioral Management

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Behavioral Management

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 am

Very basic and all wrong about the plucking but still good:

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/def ... id=8506504
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Behavioral Management

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:19 am

Behavioral feather plucking is almost entirely the result of clipping or being kept flightless. How many times have you seen a regularly flighted or aviary dwelling parrot pluck its feathers? Almost any time you see a plucked parrot in an aviary/zoo, you'll learn that it was moved there as a result of being plucked and not plucked from living like that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Behavioral Management

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:31 am

Hmmm, I truly do not know if plucking is almost always a result of clipping... I've had pluckers that were flighted (Sweetpea Senegal and Annie GCC fly) as well as pluckers that were clipped or had never been allowed to fly (Linus Too, Mami Amazon) - and I had clipped birds that were not pluckers (Zeze and Turqui Quaker) so, in truth, although I do agree 100% that clipping a bird is a terrible thing to do (unhealthy both from a physical and an emotional point of view, and just plain cruel to the bird) I do not know, percentage-wise, if it's the main cause of plucking. But what I do know for sure is that, although they always say it could be medical issue, I've only known of a single bird that plucked because of that. All the others plucked because of anxiety, depression, boredom, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care