Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Popsicles

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Popsicles

Postby cstone01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:47 pm

We recently got a huge bushel of end-of-the-year peaches. I mash them up and froze them into Popsicles. We have been trying to eat only organic bird safe food for the past year and both of our health has improved drastically. My husband has been letting hephaestion Eat bites of the frozen peaches. He shakes his head but keeps eating them, I was under the impression that their beaks were very innervated and sensitive. Is this OK? I keep telling him not to do it. Is this safe? Please prove me right LOL
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Popsicles

Postby cstone01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:51 pm

Honestly, the parrot diet is the best thing we have ever done as a couple. My husband went from 250 pounds to 190 in a year and a half. He no longer has to take his diabetes medication or his blood pressure medication. We try to only bring things into the house that the bird can eat. Twice a week we have fish or meat for dinner. It’s been super effective for us.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 am

:lol: Yes, a healthier diet is one of the most common 'side-effects' of keeping a parrot - well, if you feed it right because if you just fill up the bowl with pellets and put a piece of fruit in the cage and call it a day, then it won't do anything for the human.

Yes, he can eat the popsicles. I never give my birds anything frozen or even very cold but I have read that some of them even like munching on ice. I assume that although the beak is sensitive to heat and cold, they don't get 'brain freeze' - or maybe they do and that's why he shakes his head when he takes a bite :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks for the response! Sorry I’m so delayed

My husband is a doctor and is planning on doing a presentation (they have one once a week) on how his heath has improved with having a bird in the house. He was obese with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NASH) when we met. I’ll try to link the presentation/ paper after it is presented. ( this is a very non-conventional subject for his presentation ) I think that having a bird in the house with rules about diet makes everyone more accountable. It’s not just about your health. It’s about what is best for the animals you are responsible for- You are allowed to hurt your own health. You are not allowed to destroy something with no choice. He struggled for years with his cholesterol, he was diabetic, overweight. In a little less than a year and a half he is on no medication and has lost more than 70 pounds.

Realizing that all of the things that are bad for birds are probably bad for people is important in my mind. If nonstick cookware can kill a bird what does it do to people eating out of it every day? If there is no way I would give him Taco Bell why would we eat it? I think both of us are much healthier living to the standard of Hephaestion.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 am

I would love to read your husband's paper and I agree with you 100%! But I think that another reason why we, good parrot keepers, end up eating a healthier diet is knowledge. See, the thing is that feeding a dog or a cat is very easy, all you have to do is watch TV where the ads tell you why one food is better than the other and buy the good brand. And let's not even go into feeding ourselves and the terrible abuses we commit against our bodies! But, when it comes to parrots, there is no good commercial food to feed them and they NEED to eat produce so we end up having to come up with our own food for them and that means learning about the bird's natural diet and about nutrition. And so we learn about organic versus regular produce; processed versus raw; about how different colors mean different concentrations of phytonutrients and that the more colors you eat, the better your diet will be; how whole grains are so much healthier than processed; about the difference between macro and micronutrients; gut microbiome and its role in the immune system; animal fat and protein versus plant fat and protein; oxalic acid; salicylates, etc. etc. And, after learning about all this, we realize that we are pretty much eating mostly processed crap because even when we cook from scratch, the animals we eat have been fed crap and hormones, and lived in terribly unhealthy conditions! I started with my grandkids and became obsessed with all of them eating the 'dirtiest dozen' only organically grown (not completely successful but trying hard -back home is not so easy to find everything organically grown) and then I started working on my husband (big time meat/white rice/potato/pasta/soda man). Sheesh, we even ended up drinking better water because of the birds! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet