Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PBFD urgent question

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

PBFD urgent question

Postby RayMaraj » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:59 am

I have 2 love birds with PBFD, that live normal lives. I have 5 others birds in the same area with them with no direct contact. Is it possible my other birds can come affected? I just got a younger conure and concerned if they should be really far apart.
RayMaraj
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Love birds, parakeets, Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: PBFD urgent question

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:48 am

The sick birds need to be kept in their own room and strict quarantine controls should be kept between them and the other birds (meaning, disinfecting hands after handling them, their cage and accessories before doing the other birds, etc).

Keeping sick birds in the same environment as healthy birds is a HUGE risk because it's transmitted through the air when poop (and other secretions) and feather dander become aerosolized. Enough particles of the virus are breathed in and the healthy bird will become infected. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby RayMaraj » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:19 pm

I just moved them to the opposite side of the house. I’ve only had the young conure for a day. You think he’s gonna be ok or has he been exposed?
RayMaraj
Parakeet

Postby RayMaraj » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Pajarita wrote:The sick birds need to be kept in their own room and strict quarantine controls should be kept between them and the other birds (meaning, disinfecting hands after handling them, their cage and accessories before doing the other birds, etc).

Keeping sick birds in the same environment as healthy birds is a HUGE risk because it's transmitted through the air when poop (and other secretions) and feather dander become aerosolized. Enough particles of the virus are breathed in and the healthy bird will become infected. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Replied above
RayMaraj
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am

It depends on how clean you keep the cages, how far away they were from each other and whether there is good air circulation/purifiers in the room. Baby birds have a very weak immune system and they tend to 'catch' things that are not acute in adult birds - that's why when a baby bird gets a disease, it usually dies from it while, if an adult gets it, it can sometimes either get cured or live with a semi-dormant chronic case of it.

If I were you, I would put the other lovies in a separate room, too - but maybe not in the same room as the baby conure because, if you have been keeping them in the same room as the sick ones, they could already be infected. Sadly, when you have birds that are sick with highly contagious, fatal and incurable diseases (PBFD being one of them), you should not have any other birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby RayMaraj » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:43 am

Pajarita wrote:It depends on how clean you keep the cages, how far away they were from each other and whether there is good air circulation/purifiers in the room. Baby birds have a very weak immune system and they tend to 'catch' things that are not acute in adult birds - that's why when a baby bird gets a disease, it usually dies from it while, if an adult gets it, it can sometimes either get cured or live with a semi-dormant chronic case of it.

If I were you, I would put the other lovies in a separate room, too - but maybe not in the same room as the baby conure because, if you have been keeping them in the same room as the sick ones, they could already be infected. Sadly, when you have birds that are sick with highly contagious, fatal and incurable diseases (PBFD being one of them), you should not have any other birds...

The first day I got the conure they were in the same area, an outside canopy area. Now the sick love birds are on the complete opposite side of my house with their own food and water source. I had the sick birds in the outside area with a few of my other adult birds for a month or two. They’re pretty high up, and the sick are low. I’ve been really careful with no cross contamination. Any chance they’re infected?
RayMaraj
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 am

Well, that's a very hard question to answer... but, I would say that if there was excellent air circulation, their cages were kept far apart and there was no crossing of accessories (like using the sick birds' bowls for the healthy ones), there is a chance that they were not infected. These diseases are weird... I had an epidemic of chlamydiosis in my birdroom years ago when I had the rescue (another rescue was closing and a number of us got together and took its birds, I took in lovebirds, a couple of conures and cockatiels -a female tiel died three days after getting to my rescue and was later identified by the USDA epizootiologist as 'patient zero' even though the closing rescued claimed that they had tested all the birds - the woman running it was not trustworthy and we knew this so, in a way, it was our fault for believing her). Some birds got infected and died showing no symptoms (it was the necropsy from one of the birds that dropped dead from one day to the next that diagnosed the disease, a friendly female senegal that called herself Cowboy), some got infected and were sick (I still have one of them, Naida Zon, to whom I said goodbye three nights in a row because I thought she was not going to make it through the nights - but she did) for a while but made it (I put them in my husband's study which became the 'hospital' with high temperature and moisture and two air purifiers with UV light) and the greatest majority never got infected. Of course, once the disease was identified and the sick birds quarantined, I did three sets of thorough disinfection following the USDA protocol (and then I painted the whole room and scrubbed the floors with Clorox for a fourth time) and ended up with only 6 dead birds out of 240 but it was the worst thing that I have ever had to go through!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet