Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Second Egg in Four Years

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Second Egg in Four Years

Postby koko30 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:06 am

Yesterday, April 4 at 330pm my 32-year-old yellow nape Amazon just laid her second egg in the last four years. No male parrot around. The first time she laid her egg on the bottom of the cage on the grill, then she didn't want anything to do with it. So, I discarded it. This time, she laid her egg on the top of the cage on the playpen. She has occasionally been touching the egg and sitting beside it ever since and not on it.

What should I do?

Thanks, Scott
koko30
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Second Egg in Four Years

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:05 am

Hi, Scott and Koko! Don't do anything, just leave it there until she ignores it for a few days in a row. Spring is breeding season for long-day breeders so her laying an egg this time of the year is kind of normal. I have a female YNA (she is over 40) that is sitting on two eggs (infertile) inside a cardboard box (her nest) but she has a mate... I don't have any unattached females that lay so, if I were you, I would re-evaluate her diet as you might be feeding a bit too much protein.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby koko30 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:47 am

Good Morning. Thank you for your quick response. An update. Today is day three and she's still sitting by her egg. It's sweet but still sad that she won't have a little one to raise. She ignored the first egg she laid. Her appetite is minimal.

Thanks again,
Scott
koko30
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:40 am

Put food right by her so she doesn't have to leave her egg to eat. When hens 'set', the males feed them in their beak because they are 'programmed' to come out of the nest only once a day and for a very short period of time (it's usually early in the am and mostly to poop and their poop is HUGE and VERY wet) so I don't think that her appetite is any different, it's that she is not supposed to take a lot of time eating.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby koko30 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:46 pm

Egg #2 last night at 635pm
koko30
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 am

Well, that's a normal clutch for zons so it's OK, just keep on doing what you were doing and just give her a couple of doses of calciboost to replenish her calcium reserves.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby koko30 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:17 am

I'm curious... If I pick up and move her eggs. Will she ignore the eggs?
koko30
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 am

It depends. if she is not really interested, she will not mind BUT, if she is setting, she will. I never interfere with their eggs, it's intrusive, disrespectful and serves no real purpose so why risk stressing the bird and even make her resent you for it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet