Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Timneh vs Congo African Grey

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Timneh vs Congo African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:30 pm

The breeder I want to get an African Grey from will have both kinds available with a slight time interval. I was planning to get a CAG because the TAG option wasn't even available. I understand that the CAG is more popular and slightly larger. I'm wondering how they are different otherwise?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Timneh vs Congo African Grey

Postby shoi2ti3 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:19 am

Hi Michael,

Personality wise, Timneh African Greys are said to be more adaptable than the Congo Grey. The Congo is known to be a notorious feather plucker, a one person bird, and very sensitive to changes and new things. I hand fed my Congo when he was 5 weeks old and I can attest that most of the problems associated with the Congo is due to the fact that he/she was not properly fledged. A baby grey's wings cannot be trimmed until he/she has learned to properly control flight. Once they are able to learn this, they will be much more confident birds with bright personalities.

I never believed that any bird could be a one person bird unless taught that way and that one person birds are a result of under-socialization on the owner's part. However, this is NOT true. As a baby, I socialized my Grey around MANY people. In fact, my mom would take part in hand feeding him and I would allow my nephews and nieces to play with him. He got along find with them until several weeks after he was weaned. He then began biting people so hard they were afraid to handle him anymore. Grey's will seldom bite their owners, however. Most amazons will give their owners an occasional nip (especially during the breeding season) but a Grey is seldom treacherous as he will never bite those that he loves. For as long as I've had my Grey, I can say that this is true.

Hope this helps.
shoi2ti3
Parakeet

Re: Timneh vs Congo African Grey

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 am

I do not intend to ever clip the parrot and I do expect to let it freefly at least indoors. I think that would solve many of the typically associated problems.

As for one person birds. The fact that some parrots are known to be one person birds more so than others must have to do with innate pre-disposition. Sometimes it can be taught out of them but often it cannot. This is because they are hard wired to be dedicated monogamistic mates. Proper socialization can at best teach them to tolerate other people.

Kili, my Senegal Parrot, is completely a one person bird despite all the socialization I've done. However, she has mellowed a little over time and will "tolerate" other people. If I put her on their hand she almost never will bite. But, if they pick her up she will teach them a really good lesson!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Species