Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My parakeets fighting, how to make it stop?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

My parakeets fighting, how to make it stop?

Postby thrillaa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I've had my two male parakeets, Sergio & Isabella for a little over three months now. The employee at the pet store incorrectly determined Isabella as a female, hence the name, but she is most definitely a male bird. I'd been calling her Isabella for so long, it's been hard for me to come up with anything else to name her.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/parakeetzz/IMG_0324.jpg
From Left to Right: Isabella, Sergio

But anyways, I bought them from the same place, at the same time, quarantined them separately, and then brought them together. Their 30 X 18 X 18 had two food dishes, two water fountains two swings, two cuttle bones, and plenty of toys to be shared. However, Sergio has been progressively & constantly mean to Isabella for the past 3 days. Today, Isabella nudged one of the toys at the left hand side of the cage while Sergio was residing at the opposite end of cage. Sergio saw her touch the toy & flew all the way over to peck Isabella off her the perch. And even with two food dishes, Sergio doesn't like her eating from either of them.

I finally separated them after watching Sergio bully her all day long. I understand Sergio is being overly territorial, but what else could I do to see that they get along, other than separating them?
thrillaa
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets / budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: My parakeets fighting, how to make it stop?

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 pm

They are both males... They are going to keep fighting. Personally, I would keep them apart and in different cages.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:15 am

It doesnt work that way with budgies, Azure. Female budgies keep fighting, male budgies are usually fine with anything.

Are you sure they are both male? If I look at the picture I lean more towards two females. The behavior fits two females better as well.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:28 am

Kim S wrote:It doesnt work that way with budgies, Azure. Female budgies keep fighting, male budgies are usually fine with anything.

Are you sure they are both male? If I look at the picture I lean more towards two females. The behavior fits two females better as well.

Wow really? Huh. Oops! :shock:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Kim S » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:33 am

Yeah, it differs. Cockatiels and their big brothers the cockatoos have a lot of agression between males. With budgies its the female thats agressive. Males have a 'disagreement', they beak a little bit and then its over. Usually they dont even beakfight at all, they just puff up and use their whole repertoire of matingbehavior. Walking back and forth shouting insultations. Deciding which one is the dominant one without fighting. When the peckingorder is set, they go back to being buddies.
Females really fight and sometimes kill eachother.
Kim S
Amazon

Postby thrillaa » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Kim S wrote:
Females really fight and sometimes kill eachother.

OH MY GOODNESS! How awful! I split them up and it was so sad :( they were looking for each other! Still not sure if they're girls or not, but I'm going to take a picture & get a second opinion. Their ceres are light blue & white, so... I don't know. I thought that indicated that they were males...? They're definitely beakfighting though and aggressive enough to push the other off their perch during the day. What's odd is that they share a swing when they sleep & even nuzzle when the day is winding down...?

Thank you so much for your input!
thrillaa
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets / budgies

Postby Kim S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:31 am

Bleu ceres with white edges around the nostrils are females. The colour can vary from light blue to beige. When they go into brood the ceres turn brown or black.
Males have bright blue to dark purple ceres.

If they sleep together on a perch and groom eachother then theres no direct problem. Females can be friends together, and by the sound of it they are. But female budgies are bitchy. They will try to push eachother off perches and beak eachother. And when they go into brood you might get a problem when they get hormonal.
Kim S
Amazon

Postby Marnie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm

yes it would make more sense if they were females. my 2 male budgies got along great together.
they were best buds and were so cute together. no fighting ever.
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care