Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Vet Followup

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Truman's Vet Followup

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Truman's Vet Followup

Truman wasn't doing well at all today so I brought him back to the vet. Find out how the vet screwed up and then I had to pay for it. To make things worse, for a moment I thought he died when I saw him laying down with his eyes closed. Not a good day. I posted the full story and some pics on the blog.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Truman's Vet Followup

Postby GooseBlossom » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 pm

How unfortunate that you were charged for their mistake. When is Truman's next follow-up visit for the injury and the meds? Did the doctor give you any timeline regarding how long it might take for Truman to completely heal?

What a wide range of emotions you must have been experiencing that day!
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Postby Shonta » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:52 pm

You shouldn't have to pay for their mess up! All the test to make sure no damage was done from overmedication should have been on them. I hope the little guy gets better soon. Poor thing!
Shonta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

I agree, the mixup was theirs so they should have paid out of their own pocket! Any conspiracy theorist would say they did it on purpose to get more money out of you!

However, I am glad to hear Truman is improving after this little hiccup.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby ginger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 am

OMG! I can't even believe that this mistake was made, and by an Avian vet none the less! All that was done to find out what impact the medication had on his little system should have been at no expense to you. I am glad that it was not a negative outcome, but the charges should have definitely been waived along with a huge apology. All the extra added stress on him (and you) must have been horrible. I am so sorry that little Truman has had so much to deal with in his young life.

There are several Avian vets here in the Phoenix metro area, and I have been to couple. One I believe is overpriced, and about a twenty minute drive. The other is wonderful, and is only a ten minute commute. And he is actually the vet for the Oasis Parrot Sanctuary in Tucson. I trust him with all my birds, but if for some reason he isn't available, then I can go to the other guy as a back-up. Maybe you can find another Avian Vet in your area if you don't feel that you are being treated correctly. It's always nice to have a back-up.

I hope this won't cause any type of setback for Truman. Thanks again for keeping us all posted on the process that you are going through with Truman's recovery. I wish you only the best. Things have to get better!
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 am

Unfortunately, vets are still humans. And humans mess up sometimes. But they shouldnt charge you for cleaning up their mistakes. I can understand charging you for the bloodwork, but not for the extra medication. Or at least split the (financial) damage with you. They should be happy you were willing to go through these costs in the first place. A happy customer is a customer coming back, right?
Overall, considering the bruise where the injection was, this just sounds a bit unresponsible.

Anyway, I'm happy no permanent damage was done to Truman and I hope he will be up to his usual mishief soo enough.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby lzver » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:17 am

Michael, I can't believe the ordeal that you and Truman went through yesterday. In my eyes, the overdosage by the vet in inexcusable.

I have high expectations for people like doctors and vets. They have human and animal lives in their hands. In this case, the vet would have had dosing information available to him to confirm he was giving the correct dosage. They don't have to try to go off memory for things everyday. They have lots of documentation available to them to confirm information before recommending treatment and drug dosage.

I'm glad to hear that Truman improved once you got him home. Its a good thing that you noticed his decline over the weekend and addressed it so quickly.

Considering you were so impressed with their level of care, its disappointing that you've had an incident like this with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Mona » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Michael:

Vets are human. I'm really sorry about Truman but I just want to make one big caution, never, never let a vet do a blood draw from Truman's neck. I had a friend lose her macaw doing such a blood draw. No matter what the vet says, just don't ever allow it.

I'm really sorry and sad for Truman. I hope he is better soon..

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:45 pm

I think they did draw blood from his neck! They didn't even ask me or let me know how they would do it. Then they injected fluids in his leg and he was bleeding after the procedure.

As for "being human," the issue has more to do with being charged for fixing the mix up.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Oh my gosh how ridiculous of them to charge you for their BS! :shock: I am so sorry for your little Truman, I hope he gets well soon!!! (And I would switch vets if I were you. Jerks!!!!)
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments