Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm

While I'm mostly thinking of getting an African Grey (still debating CAG vs. TAG) I asked my breeder to try to source and price a Cape Parrot for me just in case.

Any thoughts about Cape Parrots? Would it basically be just like a giant Senegal or is it a better talker and smarter? You can imagine the reasons I'd want a grey.... if a Cape would satisfy all those interests I may consider that instead. Ideas?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Cape Parrot

Postby Natacha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Michael wrote:Would it basically be just like a giant Senegal or is it a better talker and smarter?

I'm sure you are aware of this..but not all birds that have a good reputation for talking will talk...and it really shouldn't be the main focus of wanting a species over another.

As for one being "smarter"...I have an issue with the concept of intelligence applied to some parrots over others. It might also have to do with how they are trained...I mean, any bird with you might be more prone to doing more things/tricks than a bird with someone else because that is something you work on...
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Come on... you know who you are talking to. We got a budgie to do stuff that other macaws don't do. I know. When I ask about intelligence or talking ability I am saying that in the same household with same training efforts... which parrot is more likely to pick up on more tricks quicker, more complicated concepts, and learn a clearer and bigger vocabulary.

A talking parrot is not make or break for me but Kili isn't much of a talker so I'd prefer whatever I get be a better talker because that's one aspect I'm missing out on. I'm not saying I would be greatly disappointed if it never talked but that is something I'd like to work with.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Mona » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:12 pm

I don't have a Cape Parrot but I have been fascinated by that species. To me, a cape parrot looks like what a parrot SHOULD look like. They just have that "parrot" look.

Two well-known people that breed Cape parrots are Jean Pattison and Eb Cravens. I think Jean may have coined the term "un-capes". She really likes them and has written that they are her favorite species

Eb came for a visit in Seattle many years ago and we stopped by some Cape breeders. Eb likes to pick out quality breeder birds with experience and some flocking intelligence. We visited Eb in Hawaii a few years ago and he was free flying one of his Cape babies.

My biggest reservation about a Cape is that they may not get along with the Senegals and since they are so big and have such a big beak, they could do damage. I don't know if this would be a problem but I think it's a legitimate concern.

As far as talking ability and intelligence, again...that's an individual thing. Some species may tend more towards the abilities but individuals within that species will vary greatly. I don't know how you judge intelligence really? For example, to me a Senegal thinks a lot faster than a grey. Does that make the Senegal more intelligent than a grey? I know that my Senegals pick up a lot faster on subtle cues and often will be ahead of me......On the other hand, greys definitely seem to have larger vocalbularies and may tend more towards what I call "stream of consciousness" talking. In other words, they pick up a lot of phrases along with a lot of ambient noises. In my experience, a lot more than the Senegals (although I do know some Senegals with amazing talking abilities). Does that make the grey smarter than a Senegal?....You tell me!

As far as Capes, I don't know much more than that Jean Pattison thinks they are one of the best species of companion parrots.....but I don't have any friends with Capes that have given me their personal experiences.

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

What about aggression? If they are Senegal like aggression times 4 times the size.... :?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Mona » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:30 pm

I'd do a search and see what Jean Pattison said, but I don't think they are particularly aggressive.
Mona in Seattle
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Kiri (CAG)

Mona
Poicephalus

Postby Mona » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Michael:

Here's a nice article that might give you some ideas:

http://anduin.eldar.org/~carol/cpqarticle.html
Mona in Seattle
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Kiri (CAG)

Mona
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 pm

You're on fire today Mona. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that a Cape Parrot is better as a 3rd or 4th bird rather than a first or second. What do you think?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Mona » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:37 pm

I think a Cape would probably be a great second bird....but I also love my greys...

IF I could have a cape, this would be my next parrot; however, my husband has put a limit on birds at our house and I am at it (actually I'm over it). He always jokes that my NEXT husband (we even have a name for him ) Jose Louis will LOVE my next parrot....

So, no Capes in my future...but if I was shopping, I'd definitely want one.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Kiri (CAG)

Mona
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Your husband is walking on thin ice there.... It would be no different from a wife telling the husband "it's me or the Superbowl!"
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Species