Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I have to vent...

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I have to vent...

Postby pchela » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 pm

So, I have to vent and I don't know where else to do it. I work at a locally owned pet shop in the bird department. Two weeks ago a lady bought a sweet little baby cockatiel from us. Tonight she called and said she had a bit of a problem. She clipped her tiels nails and they were bleeding. I said, how many are bleeding? She said... almost all of them. So, I told her to apply styptic powder which she didn't have so then I told her to apply cornstarch. I was thinking that they were just bleeding a little bit as will happen sometimes when you trim nails. Well, I called back as a courtesy to see if the corn starch worked and she said the tiels leg was bleeding! So, I'm thinking, WTF??? So, we had her bring the tiel in so we could look at her. She cut the nail almost all the way to the top! And not only did she do it to one nail, she went on to do it to four more before she realized that the poor bird was bleeding all over the place! Come on! They start bleeding immediately if you clip too short! So, I had to hold this poor bird down and clean her up and get the bleeding to stop. She was bleeding a lot. I feel so bad for her, both of her feet hurt because this lady didn't bother to even check on the internet to find out how to clip the birds nails. I was so angry. I was covered in blood, the poor bird was terribly stressed. I just can't believe the stupidity of some people! I wanted to take the bird away from her then and there. Anyway, that's my story. I just needed to get it off my chest. Oh- and her leg wasn't bleeding. She tucked her hurt foot up into her body and it bled all over her leg.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: I have to vent...

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:10 pm

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you let the bird go back with that woman!!!!

I'm surprised the bird didn't bleed to death in the amount of time between finding out, trying things that didn't work, calling, and getting there! Bleeding from all nails. Jeeze. I have a half-panic attack when I get a couple drops of blood drip from over cutting a nail too much once! Unless you're really experienced you don't really find out how much you can cut until you cut just a bit too far but OMG. This is why people should have to take a 10 question test before being able to take a bird home!!!!

1) Which of these is toxic to birds
A) Saliva
B) Alchohol
C) Chocolate
D) Avacado
E) All of the above

etc
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I agree. There should be some type of test. I wish I could have kept the bird away from her. As it is, I have to think positively and believe that she learned a hard lesson and will always do her research on anything concerning her bird from now on.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Wow. Simply... wow. I feel so, so sorry for that bird. :cry:
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby MandyG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 am

OMG that is simply awful. I wish you could take the bird from her just to keep the poor thing safe.

That poor bird.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:41 am

I think a good solution would be to get a pair of chain cutters, cut off the womans toes and fingers and let her lay there a bit. Oh, when you do this be sure not to have ANYTHING that might help stop the bleeding. Then you should call a hardware store and ask what was wrong with the chain cutters.
Then rub salt on her stubs and call her stubby.
I know that you could not have legally taken that poor bird from her but the least you could have done was beat her in the face with a pipe wrench.
WTF? Has she ever had a pet before?? DO you trim your dog or cat's nails like that? WTF? WTF WTF WTF!!!!
urg
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:46 am

Simpler yet, do you ever cut your own nails all the way to the very very end that there is no nail left??
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am

Okay, was this an older lady? Maybe she had alzhimers?
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Alzheimers causes stupidity?

It really makes me concerned about how that bird is cared for in general...
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pchela » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Actually, it was a young married woman who is apparently in nursing school. Seriously. I do not want her to be my nurse.

I hope that my lecturing and the guilt she felt was enough for her to take extra special care of this little bird in the future. I hope, I hope, I hope.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Next

Return to General & Off Topic