Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Something wrong with my African Grey

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Something wrong with my African Grey

Postby hrenfro1 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 pm

My African grey is always happy, excited, cheerful and so on.......he talks all day long....today around 3 pm he just stopped talking and became lethargic......we dont have any emergency vets close by. We wonder if something is going on with his throat...he acts like he wants to eat and drink, but maybe it hurts....he will turn his head sideways and stick his tongue out a lot....please anyone. I dunno what to do.......may an insight??????
hrenfro1
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
african grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Something wrong with my African Grey

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Take to vet just in case if you think this is alarming difference in behavior. Check weight of bird. If weight is below normal, then definitely vet.

If you're not getting to a vet today, wait till tomorrow and check how much is being eaten and if behavior returns to normal.

Also you may want to check out this topic about what happened with my Senegal Parrot. She was making bubbling noises and I was concerned there was something stuck in her throat or that she was sick. I ended up taking her to the vet for no reason. I'm not saying that I know your situation doesn't merit a vet visit but it may give you some insight about behavior issues:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=288
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Something wrong with my African Grey

Postby Mona » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:22 am

How is the grey today? This is worrisome so I hope the bird is better.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey