Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will my flighted parrot fly into a window?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Will my flighted parrot fly into a window?

Postby Mona » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:14 am

There are some parrots that can learn windows and some parrots that seem to not be able to do this. My Timneh grey Phinney knows windows. When I take her into a new environment, I walk her around to each window and I tap her beak on it so she can see it is a window and knows where it is. I have seen her fly right up to a window and land on the ledge many times. On the flip side, I have another friend with a pionus that tends to fly into the light and will fly into windows.

If a parrot flies into a window with enough force, it can kill itself so this is a serious issue to consider. Windows are most dangerous for new flyers because these birds will not be in good physical shape and/or may not have the skills to avoid. Windows are also most dangerous in unfamiliar environments because the bird will not know where they are.

Flying into a window does not mean that the bird WILL injure or kill itself. I have seen parrots fly into windows many times; however, it must be kept in mind that windows CAN kill a bird if hit with enough force and if hit wrong by the bird.

What do you do to help protect your bird from being harmed by a window?
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Will my flighted parrot fly into a window?

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 am

I have huge windows in my living room. I two curtains individually attached in the middle of the window panels. Not sure if that is what stops them from hitting the window, but none of my birds has ever tried go go through them.

I tend to bring them up close to look outside and they tested the glass with their beaks then; maybe they remembered there is something solid there?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby greatgriffin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:18 am

When I started to free-fly Crackie inside, I took care to pull all curtains or cover all windows with something light so that the bird could surely see that there is an obstacle despite the light source.
I do this ever since to some extent, in our new apartment I have a large window with no curtains, but there is an outside shutters that I always release and that way the bird sees the horizontal stripes outside and does not ever attempt a straight dash through the pane.

There was one instance though, when we did hit the glass, and it was my fault, as it always is the owner's fault to put the pet at risk. There was one window wide open that I have not realized because the shutters were down. The bird started to circle the room, as always when I release her, and bang she hit the glass. Fortunately enough she did not get injured, she sort of bounced off and turned around but I did get a bit frightened.

I had smaller birds also in the past, like budgies and zebra finches that also hit the glass a good number of times but I never got a single fatality.
This was unfortunately not true for some wild birds that came in hitting the living room window from the outside. I guess they come in at far greater speeds and their chances therefore are much slimmer.

Tom
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Postby simka » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 am

My Jardine's is new to flight. I have consistently presented him with opportunities to learn the solidity of mirrors and windows since we brought him home in February, but since flying he has on occasion made a beeline for them nonetheless. Any suggestions, esp. Regarding mirrors?
simka
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's poicephalus

Postby bmsweb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm

For what its worth I know Cockatiels, Green Cheek Conures and Budgies all see windows and mirrors.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Grayson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Yes, my bird Ozzy flew into a window that was left open. Luckily, he wasn't injured, but he was a little dazed for awhile. I also have a minor annoyance that happens every year. We have a broken window in our porch, and a blackbird flies and gets stuck in the window between the two panes. I get him out by opening the outside window. I guess he can't resist the bugs that also get stuck in there too.
Grayson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:36 pm

So, Greyson, why don't you just spend a few bucks and repair the window? It would be safer then.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:31 pm

For what it's worth, I've heard that birds don't fly into windows with decals on them, because it indicates that there's something there. None of my birds have ever flown into our patio window/door or into my bedroom's window, both of which have decals on them. For our other windows besides bedroom and patio, the blinds are usually down for the floor the birds reside on so that isn't a problem.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby GMV » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

bmsweb wrote:For what its worth I know Cockatiels, Green Cheek Conures and Budgies all see windows and mirrors.

well, the first day we got delight,(my GCC) he flew into a window really hard. it was scary.
also, we cared for a budgie who hit glass alot, so i'm not sure. my cockatoo never hits anything of that sort.
if bliss (cockatiel) could fly forwards, i would be curious to see if he could recognize windows
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Birds only crash into windows when they are panicked, when they cannot see them (if a baby was raised in light instead of darkness, they are left with bad vision for the rest of their lives) and when they don't know they are there but all of these problems have solutions (wait until bird feels comfortable in his surroundings, show the bird where the window is and put something on the glass like decals, suncatchers or curtains).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight