Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sucky Breeders

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Sucky Breeders

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am

Why is it that breeders are so conceited and full of themselves? I've been actively searching for a breeder because I'm thinking of getting an African Grey or Cape Parrot and for several months now I have been unable to get someone to breed me a bird.

Is the fact that I am absolutely insistent that the bird must never be clipped the thing that is scaring them away? Are breeders just too lazy to raise a bird instead of a hamster with a beak that can't fly?

I'm really aggravated that breeders are so political. They seem to want to dictate to the owner how to own a parrot rather than an owner requesting they raise a parrot a particular way. Funny thing is that they tell me they don't want the bird to fly for the bird's sake. One thing I know for sure is that birds have wings and they want to use them to fly so it is definitely NOT for the bird's sake.

Without mentioning any names, here is what one breeder told me because I insisted that I would not buy a clipped bird: "Good luck to you finding whatever it is your looking for, your to intense for me. I'm sorry that you can't love a bird for just what it is, a bird." And remember, this is coming from a breeder that is supposed to be very experienced but always clips.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Sucky Breeders

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 am

Michael wrote:here is what one breeder told me because I insisted that I would not buy a clipped bird: "Good luck to you finding whatever it is your looking for, your to intense for me. I'm sorry that you can't love a bird for just what it is, a bird." And remember, this is coming from a breeder that is supposed to be very experienced but always clips.

Seriously? I'm not sure what else you were requesting to be called 'Too intense' but requesting a bird not be clipped is 'not loving a bird for what it is, a bird'? You're exactly right calling this post "Sucky Breeders". It scares me that a breeder would be against an experienced bird owner that's willing to take on the extra responsibility and take the extra precautions of keeping a flighted bird safe. Especially knowing that you currently have a flighted bird, it's not like you're a first time bird owner that doesn't know the risks involved... Besides a few cute tricks having a flighted bird doesn't really benefit the owner at all, it's for the health and happiness of the bird! If not being able to fly was for the benefit of the bird they wouldn't have wings! :flapping:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:02 pm

What were my other "intense" requests? Flighted, pellets, water bottle, socialization to other birds/people, visitation. Are those such bizarre requests?

She was emailing me pictures of her babies and I saw those fruity pellets on the floor around it so I asked why she feeds them those rather than uncolored and she was flipping out on me that I'm not a breeder and don't know anything...
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Oh wow...

I've never bred any type of animal besides fish before, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I do work closely with a local rescue and any dog that I foster becomes part of my family and we always look for the best owners possible for them. When I have people inquiring about the dogs that are quite picky about certain things I'm happy! It shows that these people are responsible and they're making sure that they are getting a pet that actually suits their family and their lifestyle so they can be able to give that dog the best possible care for it's lifetime. The ones that ask details about their socialization, diet, etc, are also the ones that I find are very open to my suggestions when it comes to high quality food and other things that most people wouldn't be bothered with. I'd rather have a picky person ask me 1,000 questions and visit the dog multiple times with their families and current pets than have a person come in to see the dog for five minutes and say they'll take it without asking a single question about it. As much as we want to see the dogs get adopted, those are usually the people that we decline.

Sounds like you were dealing with an irresponsible breeder... It's too bad that a lot of breeders are just out there to make money and they're not concerned about educating potential parrot owners about the proper care for their bird. I hope you can find one that's willing to actually work with you!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

What is funny is that this breeder took every opportunity to point out that she has been working with parrots for 40 years and that she picks/chooses who will have the blessing of getting one of her birds. :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm

wow! i can't believe she said that..some people really just want it there way or no way..that's a shame because i'm sure the people she does "pick" to buy her birds are most likely not as intelligent and knowledgable as you to ask the questions you did (which were definitely justified and not "intense") grrr! some people...smh :roll:
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Ok I guess i would fall into the sucky breeder bit here because mine get clipped. I would make this suggestion. Find out how they clip. Is it as soon as they gain flight or once they have establised themselves as a flyer? Go with the flyer see if you put a deposit down on the bird if they would be willing to not clip for you on that bird? Then if you "bail' on the bird they can clip then. Just a suggestion.
Remember that most likely the breeder isnt doing harm in their mind. You wont ever hear a breeder say " i know its a bad diet but the birds seem to like it" I would suggest checking through birdbreeders.com if you havent hunted there. Sometimes they (breeders) get stuck in there ways and its hard for them to change.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 pm

What I call a sucky breeder is someone who is too lazy to meet the customers breeding requests and insults and blames the customer for being unreasonable rather than trying to be a bit more accommodating. I'm not saying that all breeders must raise flighted birds and I am not saying that all breeders must agree to raise n flighted bird for me. However, I am very angry with this one because she made it seem like I was crazy for wanting a flighted bird when really it turned out that:

"Michael I'm not going to sell you a bird so we really don't need to talk, you're too upsetting to me as far as what your expectations are from a parrot."

I had no idea what her problem was because that all came out after I brought up a question about diet but later the truth came out that she was too lazy to raise a flighted bird:

"I do not know based on my bird room, it has 5 ft. windows, if I could safely fledge a baby in it, it would depend on the bird."

I understand that raising a flighted baby is more work and more difficult. While I don't automatically consider someone a "sucky breeder" merely because they clip their birds, I do consider them sucky when they blame the customer for wanting a flighted bird but only cause they are insecure and cannot provide it.

BTW, I am really only considering breeders that fledge all their birds and don't clip till last minute because they are more experienced at letting them fly and will do a better job. The problem is that this one that I mentioned was recommended to me by a fledging breeder so I assumed she'd do it. Furthermore, I always bring up flight as one of the first 3 questions I ask. I told her up front that I am looking for a flighted bird. She didn't say no up front so I assumed she could do it. The truth didn't come out till later. But she was a real nuisance about it and tried to make me look like a horrible person for wanting a flighted bird when it really all had nothing to do with me.
Michael
Macaw

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Well by no means was i assuming that you were saying i am a sucky breeder. And i have met my own sucky breeders and have found that those sucky breeders can teach me alot of how i run my breeding "operation". Flight is one of those issues. Yes i can tell you its extreamly annoying when your trying to handfeed a bird and they fly away and you know they need to be fed. Its a lot of work to climb on top of a chair on top of a table to get a dust birdy from the light fixture. Then to let them fly until they learn that a window is a monster and that the bird flying at them in the bathroom is really not a bird but again a monster. They need to learn how to land on a perch and a person in flight. then and only then should they get clipped. And 5 feet windows my tush. My house was built somewhere in the 1880's. I had 8 ft long by 7 ft tall windows in one room. Im sitting beside a window right now that is 6 ft tall by 10 ft long. Uhmmm maybe the woman should invest in some curtians. I do not know of any breeders that are raising the larger birds. Like I suggested try birdbreeders.com and then another would be hoobly.com I do know that there are baby CAG's on hoobly in ohio. Also if you look into the southern states you might get a bit better chance as some of them are raised in outdoor flights.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Actually I'm looking into a flighted uncape parrot.... kind of hard when there are only like 5 people who breed them, and on of them turned out to be a lunatic.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Species