Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Too Many Toos

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Too Many Toos

Postby Rueae » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:10 am

Not really, but it seemed like a catchy title at the time. :P
I was just wondering, what your personal preference are for specific Toos and why?
(What's your favorite species?)

Also, pictures of Toos (Especially with more than one species in the shot) earn you invisible cookies. .3.

Edit: I would like to specify that I am not asking because I am trying to decide on a bird for myself. I ask questions merely to ask questions and most are just opinions; like difference of temperament in color mutations and so forth. Not because I am after the mutation, but because I am curious. Birds are individuals anyway, so it makes little difference. It's for conversation and thought.

I admit to having a slight ulterior motive of wanting to see pictures of some various species together. Possibly even hybrids (I've only recently had my mind blown by talk of such) or at least conversation regarding them.
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Too Many Toos

Postby a.susz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:27 am

i once saw an umbella/goffin hybrid, it looked like a ducorps(but was not one) , but acted like a goffins.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Postby Rueae » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 am

a.susz wrote:i once saw an umbella/goffin hybrid, it looked like a ducorps(but was not one) , but acted like a goffins.

Hm...I've never seen a hybrid of any parrot in person. Were there any distinctive differences between it and a ducorps? What did the owner call the breed? .3.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby zazanomore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 am

Rueae wrote:Not really, but it seemed like a catchy title at the time. :P
I was just wondering, what your personal preference are for specific Toos and why?
(What's your favorite species?)

Also, pictures of Toos (Especially with more than one species in the shot) earn you invisible cookies. .3.

Edit: I would like to specify that I am not asking because I am trying to decide on a bird for myself. I ask questions merely to ask questions and most are just opinions; like difference of temperament in color mutations and so forth. Not because I am after the mutation, but because I am curious. Birds are individuals anyway, so it makes little difference. It's for conversation and thought.

I admit to having a slight ulterior motive of wanting to see pictures of some various species together. Possibly even hybrids (I've only recently had my mind blown by talk of such) or at least conversation regarding them.

My favorite is the cockatiel :)

And yes, they are in the cockatoo family, so they do count :P
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby pchela » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I hand raised three different Umbrella/Goffins hybrids and they were the sweetest babies ever! They looked like miniature Umbrellas with the peach crown like a Goffins and a black beak. They were very sweet birds and loved attention. Not as loud as an Umbrella but still loud. Whenever customers would come in, they were the first to rush to the side of the cage and shove their heads up against the bars for scratches. They were all in at different times and all equally sweet. Same parents for all three. The breeder did not put them together, they just decided they wanted to be with each other so he let them. We called them Parasol Cockatoos.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Rueae » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:49 pm

zazanomore wrote:My favorite is the cockatiel :)

Out of cockatiels, I <3 the whiteface mutation. They're old fashioned and awesome, like black and white movies. :3

pchela wrote:I hand raised three different Umbrella/Goffins hybrids and they were the sweetest babies ever! They looked like miniature Umbrellas with the peach crown like a Goffins and a black beak. They were very sweet birds and loved attention. Not as loud as an Umbrella but still loud. Whenever customers would come in, they were the first to rush to the side of the cage and shove their heads up against the bars for scratches. They were all in at different times and all equally sweet. Same parents for all three. The breeder did not put them together, they just decided they wanted to be with each other so he let them. We called them Parasol Cockatoos.

Amazing.
About what is the adult size of a Parasol Cockatoo? Closer to U2 or G2? .3.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby zazanomore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Rueae wrote:
zazanomore wrote:My favorite is the cockatiel :)

Out of cockatiels, I <3 the whiteface mutation. They're old fashioned and awesome, like black and white movies. :3

pchela wrote:I hand raised three different Umbrella/Goffins hybrids and they were the sweetest babies ever! They looked like miniature Umbrellas with the peach crown like a Goffins and a black beak. They were very sweet birds and loved attention. Not as loud as an Umbrella but still loud. Whenever customers would come in, they were the first to rush to the side of the cage and shove their heads up against the bars for scratches. They were all in at different times and all equally sweet. Same parents for all three. The breeder did not put them together, they just decided they wanted to be with each other so he let them. We called them Parasol Cockatoos.

Amazing.

My whiteface thinks he's a grumpy old man
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby a.susz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Amazing.

a large g2, and a small u2 :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby pchela » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:05 am

Ha! a.susz is right. They are somewhere in the middle of an Umbrella and a Goffins. I'd say closer to the Goffins. Maybe... 300 to 500 grams maybe? That's a total guess though. I really don't remember.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Shani » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:40 am

zazanomore wrote:
My favorite is the cockatiel :)

:cockatiel: I agree with this! I also have a soft spot for Galahs. An old acquaintance had one - cuddliest thing ever.

But yes, cockatiels are just... *squeaks*. I'm very bias since I went to see my baby today fwiw :P
Shani
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Next

Return to Parrot Species