Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

busy bird?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

busy bird?

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:06 pm

ok i thought this would be the right place to come, i dont know if there is another thread like this but im having trouble thinking up new ideas to keep Jango busy. right now hes currently eating a fruity kebab (thanks to my 7 year old cousin for making him one) but i expect that to last another 5-10 minutes or so.

i know a lot of epopel find it hard to find new ways to entertain their birds. has anyone got ideas, i have him a papercup last night filled with raisins and silverbeat that kept him happy for about an hour. i know many people on here will have stories to tell and maybe i wont be the only one who learns something!
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: busy bird?

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I have an empty box that i tied in skeeters cage then filled it with pinecones and foottoys and twings and paper and treats and he loves sorting through the things in there :)
Last edited by skeetersunconure on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm struggling somewhat with the same issues with both birds. Scooter has turned into a termite -- it keeps him busy, but I'm forever making toys. Scotty seem to be a bit placid and hard to keep engaged, although he's remarkably shy about tearing things up. So far I have had some luck with a carboard foraging box -- the kind that has a bunch of dividers so there are a lot of little compartments -- stuffed full of almonds in shell and pistachios in shell. Since he's not into shredding at a rapid rate, that seems to be working. For now. For a nectar bird... I don't know what would work well. I guess if he likes a fruit kebab, can you make that more challenging somehow?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:26 pm

I've heard that those little boxes of raisins are quite fun.

My birds aren't the biggest chewers, but my female budgie loves those wooden clothes pins.

For Einstein, I bought some 'interactive' toys.

We have this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lmdn=Brand as well as some other toys by this brand. Einstein has kind of ignored them until recently. I guess he finally realized that by making noise, he can have fun. The moving parts keep him pretty entertained, so maybe you could buy some similar toys.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:47 pm

yea Jango gets bord of something very easilly its got to grab his attention as soon as he sees it and if its to hard he will stop playing with it after 10 seconds but if its to easy hes finished playing with it in 10 seconds too! so difficult lol
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby skeetersunconure » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Maybe you could just make a climbing gym in his cage. If he likes to climb and hang upside down then you could get all these branches and perches and make a play gym and you could get a rope boing and he could just climb I mean it might be fun for him I know that skeeter likes to climb
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby issy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm

I have this same problem with Sheldon, he plays with something for 5 mins then throws it away XD

I usually go to the park and grab lot's of wood and sticks for him, clean them and then he has fun for about 10 mins. I have seen some really nice logs around which I plan to clean out very well and give to him.

Try boxes my lorikeet can't resist them, he will try to squeeze into even the smallest of boxes XD

Has Jango got lots of foot toys? Because Sheldon loves the little plush toys that you can buy for cats and he can spend hours at the bottom of his cage playing with them. =D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:37 pm

haha yea you can hardly see the bottom of his cage with the amount of foot toys he has, hes got 4 cat balls with bells in them, 3 baby rattles, 3 plastic keys, a paper cup, raisin boxes, leather foot toys, paper sticks, willow balls and jax

he like his lori links (plastic chain) and he loves playing with bamboo but i can only get bamboo once a week because i get it from work... hes also got a tiki hut buts hes to fat tofit in it now (im sorry) hes grown to much to fit in it XD he also likes having a ping pong ball in his water dish...he likes moving it around and trying to sink it and it also stops him bathing in his water dish because he cant fit in there with a ping pong ball in there

but its finding new things to keep him enterained, he still plays with these but only got 5 min at a time

and yea i have him a box once and he freaked out lol, ill try again soon maybe coax him with some raisins
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby issy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Try some plush toys. I have multiple Pokemon which flip out into poke-balls and he loves them XD
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Let's see, 5 minutes at a time, 12 hours of waking time, that's 12 toys per hour... 144 toys should do the trick!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY