Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Congo African...Ino

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Congo African...Ino

Postby zazanomore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 pm

I'd be really weary of the breeder. A lot of the time, with these mutations, there's inbreeding. And we all know what the result of inbreeding is - unhealthy birds.

But still, they are very fascinating to look at. (though I think if I had the choice, I'd choose the regular colored grey)
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:52 am

Hey Rueae, I think i can find the breeder that your looking for, pretty sure it's the one i'm thinking of, very professionial, ethical, etc, 1st class birds. Be aware that many of these mutations are very expensive ,if your really serious PM me, but only if your really serious, Richard
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby Rueae » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:26 am

I would be if I had the money. XD;
I was just scrounging up all the information I could on the blue and ino mutations. Honestly, the next bird I get probably won't even be a grey. .3.

Edit: Does that mean you know how much the inos cost? ; ^ ;
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:43 am

No Sir, But i guess we could email and ask, i'm sure it would scare us.I,ll see what i can find out.
captwest
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Rueae » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 am

...I'm excited. :T
I like you, sir.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am

Well i have a call in and i'm waiting for a reply, basic info is this, all aval. blue mutations in US were bought up 2wks ago, also ino birds are cross of albino/lutino hence the name ino this is true of other species as well.(new to me as I call my crosses creamio).Anyway i'll check on prices/availability and let you know what i hear.I do know US availability is poor, much better in SA and a few might be had in Panama.
captwest
Amazon

Postby Rueae » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Your detective skills put me to shame. :P
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Just talked to the people in NY, no Ino available, the few that might be available in the future, although being handfed, are mostly being sold as breeders @about 10,000 , she dosen't think the pet trade is ready for that yet. There's a pair that will produce blue mutation babies(blue hen/split blue male) for 15,000 and a pair of split blue immature (09 stock) that should throw 50% blue babies when they breed in maybe another 4-5 years, they're only 10,000. It appears to me that if you want one it will have to come from outside US and that will take a CITIES permit, and that's a whole different can of worms, in general good luck.
captwest
Amazon

Postby Rueae » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Ah, looks like it will be quite some time before I am able to purchase one. I'd like an ino, as a pet. What can you do? :P Maybe someday.

Mighty thank you for all your help. *^*
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby guybo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 am

These new mutations are really cool. Some beautiful birds! I saw a thing on TV about a genetic experiment in Russia that has been going on for the past 50 years. They are trying to track down the origin of dogs. We have known for a long time that the domestic dog is descended from the wolf. The question is- how did the wild wolf- this big, aggressive creature that has a distinctive look- turn into a little chihuahua or a pekingnese or a St. Bernard?

50 years ago (it was the USSR back then) Russian scientists took wild foxes, penned them and started to selectively breed them. They bred them to be less aggressive. They bred the human-friendly foxes with each other and the foxes that would not warm to humans with each other. That was 20 generations of foxes ago. The aggressive foxes changed little in that time. The current generations of foxes look very much like the first generations did back in the 50's. But the less aggressive foxes are undergoing changes not only to general personality (like you'd expect) but also physical changes to the way the foxes look.

The "domesticated" foxes (the scientists have begun to sell some of the foxes as pets believe it or not!) have become slimmer, they are changing colors (the foxes were silver foxes originally but now are showing up in all kinds of colors) and developing dog-like traits in how they relate to humans. Now play this out for 10,000 years and it doesn't take much imagination how dofferent breeds of dogs came to be.

How does this relate to parrots? I can see different breeds of parrot developing now that parrot-ownership is widespread and breeding is common. I wonder if these mutations are the beginning of that process in birds?
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"

Previous

Return to Parrot Species