Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

parrot training beginner

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

parrot training beginner

Postby kimbo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 pm

:senegal: i have a baby senegal named chico and i have taught him his first trick. he now turns around for treats or if he wants what we are eating. he is so sweet. i had his wings clipped and he steps up no problem. i want to teach him to do upside down on my finger but dont know how. any ideas?
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: parrot training beginner

Postby Kathleen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:25 am

I thought about it and thought about it and I decided to move your topic because it was in the wrong category.

This is an advanced trick I taught Duke. I taught him to be comfortable on his back by putting him on it on my hand with him perched on my finger and then rewarding him for it. I slowly turned him not quite upside down but with each click at an angle that was closer to him being upside down, progressively less and less of him being supported on my hand once he was comfortable on his back until he was practically upside down. Eventually I moved my hand for a little bit and then put it back and rewarded him, and then increased the time and I was able to just let him hang there.

Duke was very nervous about this trick at first. I remember I taught him the basis of the trick in one day. I always made sure I held his feet with my fingers and I think he trusted me to because the few times I started to loosen my grip, his grip felt very loose and I didn't want him to fall and develop a fear of doing the trick.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:06 am

:senegal: thanks will try that. my chico is in the vets today . he was throwing up last night and the vet has xrayed him and found that he swallowed something. i hope he will be ok as he is my baby. the vet said hes bright and hasnt been sick in there, apparently hes either hiding it or he will pass it or worst scenario operation. hes my first parrot and am learning all the time. dont know when he swallowed whatever he did, must have been when i was cooking and he was on his own while peeled potatoes.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:03 pm

I hope your bird gets better soon. :(
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby kimbo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Kathleen wrote:I hope your bird gets better soon. :(

thanks chico is ok now im glad to say. the somersault trick is not viable yet as he still nips fingers. but hopefully soon. he can turn round and go through pipe and latest one shake. dont know what next yet. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Postby Frederica » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Hallo kimbo,
I personally would not teach a bird to hang down from anything as lang as its wings are clipped.
My Keisha-May learned that by chance (she got into trouble and I saved and clicked her ;) ) and practised it a couple of times with my hand under her and without.
sometimes she lost balance or hold and hadn to fly so as not to crash on the floor.
For a clipped bird, that would have been dangerous!

Best,
Frederica
Frederica
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby kimbo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:25 pm

i dont do it while im holding him in the air. i do it while i am sat down and he can flop or jump onto my knee. i wouldnt put him at risk. but mostly he is just lowered onto my knee on his back which hes getting used to now and doesnt seem to bother him.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Return to Parrot Trick Training