Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Eclectus housing :)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Eclectus housing :)

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 pm

i would recommend getting them separate cages, 'everything' likes there own space
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 am

TheNzJessie wrote:i would recommend getting them separate cages, 'everything' likes there own space

Ditto.

And you are getting a male and a female. If they are caged together, wouldn't there be a chance of them mating?

It will also be easier for training if you keep them housed in separate cages.

Two of those cages would do well I think.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby lotus15 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm

The first cage posted is 32 x 30 ... I would consider this small even for ONE Eclectus, let alone two. The second cage, the flight cage, has really small bars and is meant for tiny or smaller parrots... I'm sure that an Ekkie could easily break those bars. I'd say that a good size cage for ONE Ekkie would be 40x30, or at a minimum 36x28. For two, I'd go much bigger, or better yet, separate cages, especially if you're going to be working a 40 hr/wk job. They definitely need their space.
lotus15
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

JohnnyKeroscene wrote:
zazanomore wrote:
TheNzJessie wrote:i would recommend getting them separate cages, 'everything' likes there own space

Ditto.

And you are getting a male and a female. If they are caged together, wouldn't there be a chance of them mating?

It will also be easier for training if you keep them housed in separate cages.

Two of those cages would do well I think.

I would like to breed them oneday, maybe once, or even twice a year, so i thought one cage would be good for them to bond with each other while they are young ^^ imma look into the two cage thing :D!
my hubby says i can only spend 300.00 on cage(s) = w=;;.... :feclectus: ILL FIGURE OUT A WAY! :D :eclectus:!!!!!

EDIT: how about two of these? o: http://www.petsbycsn.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-13221-AEC1048.html

Are they related? Please, don't breed related birds. Inbreeding will result in unhealthy chicks.

As for the cages, I just looked up what the minimum for one Eclectus would be 24"x36"x48" high cage with 1" bar spacing.

The second cage you suggested is very similar to the cage I am getting for my budgies and cockatiel. Those are typically for smaller parrots, and are used more like flight cages. I don't think it would be suitable for eclectuses.

You said that your husband is only giving you a 300 dollar limit on cages. I am spending 400$ altogether for my two new flight cages. I've also probably spent maybe 300$, if not more, in the past year on bird supplies. Proper perches, toys, food, vet care, and accessories add up pretty quickly. And I only have two budgies and a cockatiel, the "easiest" and "cheapest" parrots to look after. Prepare to spend a lot more on supplies then just 300$.

Now, I've never owned an eclectus, so I don't really know how big they are or how active they are. I am only going off of what I've read online.

But, bigger is always better. If I were to buy an Eclectus, I'd probably go for a cage like: http://elite-pets.com/A24%28W%29.asp
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby pchela » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

It's going to be extremely difficult to breed Eclectus and have them as pets. If you want to be able to handle them, they have to be in separate cages. Breeding them is a bad idea anyway. I think you said that your grandma bred teils? Eclectus are notoriously difficult to breed and hand feed. They are nothing like tiels. It's not something to just jump into.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pchela » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Volunteering is a great idea before owning one! I hope you are able to do that.

As for cages, if you're on a budget, Craigslist has some great deals on cages. Just make sure to sanitize it.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Be prepared for all possibilities that come with two birds being put together. Aggression between the two birds or the birds so severely bonding to each other that they try to attack you to defend each other. I think it would be best to spend as much time with them as you would in the future if you were working a 40 hour week now.

I also suggest this link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=320
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby sidech » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 pm

This cage is WAAAAYYYYY too small, even for 1 Eclectus. Their wing span is very wide, they won't have enough space and will wreck their feathers, aside from not having enough space to move.

Also, if you're worried about the money spent on the cage, I'm just wondering if you know about the Eclectus diet, and how much it costs to feed these little pigglets ? I got mine 2 weeks ago, and I've spent at least 50$ for food since then, besides all the organic / no color / no vitamin pellets and special foods (60$ for those, but they'll last months).

So basically you're looking at least 120$ per month in food for their fresh food diet.
That's about 1 500$ per year, not even couting the visits to the vet, toys and other fun stuff.

1500$ per year just for fresh food that they need in order to stay healthy.

Do you really care how much the cage costs ? ;)
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:41 am

have you considered getting one? is there any particular reason you would like two?
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 am

JohnnyKeroscene wrote:
TheNzJessie wrote:have you considered getting one? is there any particular reason you would like two?

my hubby really likes them too, i dont really think he is as fanatic about them as i am, but i have deffinately considered just one, i keep testing him to see if he is actually going to want him, and so far I'm going to let him get the boy, but otherwise I'm going to attempt getting just a female first and see where that goes for him. because i definitely dont want to get him a bird, and then 4 months later realise he does not want him anymore sorta deal, thatd be just so aweful TT_TT of course id take care of his birdy but eitherway, it could be a big mistake if i dont keep talking to my hubby about his bird s:.

So i finaly talked to him about how much money i can spend on the cage, he told me as much as i want, and we found this lovely large macaw sized cage at the local pet store. i think the measurements were somewhere in the neighbor hood of i think interior of 40" x 35" (ish) and then like.. about x 50-60"
its deffinately as tall as i am on the inside though XD! i love it XD i believe it was also about 480.00USD ish but with taxes it'll probably go up to about 500 + easy, but he said thats fine :)!!

i still think 2 separate cages would be better :) but its entirely up to you and you should most likely find two decent sized cages for $250 each
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Next

Return to Housing