Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:22 pm

And why are all the dogs french bulldogs? bleh!
My dogs know to stay away from my parrtos. Once in a while my shepherd will sniff Marvin or Noodle while I'm holding them but that's about all I allow.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Michael wrote:Some new inductees for the hall of idiotic parrot owners:

They were shockers, they made me feel so angry.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 pm

:o Those were awful... just awful.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

What amazes me is that people have no shame showing these kinds of videos to everyone. They seem to genuinely think it's funny to torture poor animals like that!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby miajag » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I assume most of these people don't even realize that what they're doing is abusive or dangerous.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby sift » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm

The eating out of people mouths thing is gross. You want to talk about disgusting stories.. I had to tell some guy who would come into the pet store not to let the caique pick his teeth.

I'm curious about the dog thing, though... After watching those videos I went looking on YouTube and came across a couple videos where it would appear that the parrots solicit play/attention from the dogs. The dogs are very obviously being careful and know their boundaries when playing with the birds. When you know your dog and you know your bird, is it really such a horrible thing to let them play if the parrot is the one soliciting the attention? I understand that birds bleed out very easily and can definitely appreciate that accidents do happen but I find it difficult to want to call people who allow such interaction names when there is obvious enjoyment for both species in the game.
sift
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus

Postby MandyG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

sift wrote:After watching those videos I went looking on YouTube and came across a couple videos where it would appear that the parrots solicit play/attention from the dogs.

I've watched some videos with large cockatoos that do this, you'd really have to know your dog though. Accidents do happen so fast and with a bird it only takes one split second mistake to seriously injure or kill the bird. I wouldn't personally do it, but in the cases where the very large birds are initiating the play it might not be traumatizing to the bird, just fun and games.

My big problem is with the videos, like the ones that were posted here, where they are small birds that are quite obviously trying to hide and get away from the dogs. If the bird is clipped and hiding it might look like play to some when they are clearly simply trying to back themselves into a corner and then defend themselves because they're scared to death. Those people I think are idiots.

Basically for me it comes down to knowing your dog (and having a well trained dog that will stop and listen even in the middle of play if things get too rough), supervising the play, and being able to read the body language of the bird to see if they're truly enjoying the play or if they're simply scared and defending themselves because they have no way out of the situation.
MandyG
Amazon

Postby sift » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 am

MandyG wrote:
sift wrote:My big problem is with the videos, like the ones that were posted here, where they are small birds that are quite obviously trying to hide and get away from the dogs. If the bird is clipped and hiding it might look like play to some when they are clearly simply trying to back themselves into a corner and then defend themselves because they're scared to death. Those people I think are idiots.

I would totally agree with you on that. It would have to be a very individual case-by-case basis. I know my friend allows her umbrella cockatoo to play with her pitbull and more often than not, the bird is the one who initiates the play. When he's not interested and the dog tries to get the games going, he just shrieks 'No! Bad dog!' at her and she quits. :)
sift
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus

Postby pchela » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Oh my. The one with the babies being licked clean makes me cringe. How stupid must one be? Those babies are lucky if they didn't get some kind of bacterial infection or worse. Especially being a hand feeder myself I find this so horrid; you have to be so careful feeding these guys. They're so delicate. What is that woman thinking? The others are terrible as well. That dog could kill the bird in an instant. Way more parrots are killed by pet dogs than pet cats.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby MandyG » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm

During a conversation with a co-worker today for some reason parrots came up. The lady mentioned she had an African Grey, so of course I was excited to find a fellow parrot enthusiast! Then she mentioned that she used to own the bird.; When her and her husband moved she decided to sell it because somebody asked her if she was selling it and she thought 'why not?'. Not a great reason in my books and that quickly killed my enthusiasm. I'm glad she sold the bird though, she told me that the bird used to do the 'cutest' thing, it used to groom her cats :o ! It would cuddle right up to them and start preening them! That is idiotic for SO many reasons! I was annoyed after that and quickly changed the subject. Just another example of why rehoming can sometimes be a good thing, I think she was lucky to have a bird that was still alive to be rehomed... :(
MandyG
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet