Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

sweet potatoes

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

sweet potatoes

Postby sherillynn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

This might be a farily easy question but I saw that people are feeding their birds sweet potatoes. Are you cooking them or feeding them raw?

If you cook them, do you feed them warm or cold? How about squash? I have been introducing some new foods to the birds and just wanted to hear if this might be a good addition to their diets.

Thanks in advance.
Sherill
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Henry David Thoreau

sherillynn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw, Eclectus, TAG
Flight: No

Re: sweet potatoes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm

There are only a few exceptions to the rule of thumb that if you can eat it, your bird can eat it, prepared in the way you would eat it. So, better to cook sweet potatoes and feed either warm or cool -- not TOO hot. Winter squash I think can be fed either way, but I generally cook it if I'm going to serve it. The main downside to cooking foods is that it actually makes them vulnerable to spoiling faster -- if you leave fresh foods out for any length of time, you may need to shorten that with a cooked food component.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby lotus15 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I steam or bake sweet potatoes and feed them warm or cool, not hot :)
lotus15
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Sweet potatoes are a big hit around my house and they're great for your fid. any way that you can get them to eat them is good, i just microwave them because it's fast and easy.But like entranced said they do spoil faster if cooked.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby kaylayuh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:04 pm

I generally feed the birds things I'm already going to eat. So if I'm going to eat sweet potatoes, I give it to the birds cooked and cooled down. If I cook it, I only leave it for them for about 20 minutes, then remove it so it can't spoil.

I don't make special foods specifically for my birds, so whatever I'm going to eat that day, they're also going to have to live with. I don't have a microwave, so if something needs to be cooked for them, I'm going to make enough so that I can share.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet